User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. Miranda growing but not really pitchering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. Miranda growing but not really pitchering.

I've owned this plant for nearly three months now and while it has put out a lot of new leaves with nice reddish hues, it has only produced one tiny new pitcher.

This plant remains outdoors and receives about six hours of sun a day. I lightly fertilize the plant once a month and I also placed the plant into a much bigger container with a mixture of peat, LFS, and perlite to help retain its moisture.

Any ideas of how I can improve its situation? Also, how hot is too hot for this Nep as far as summer temperatures? When should I consider moving it indoors?

Back in late February:

Today:

Only new pitcher so far:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be possible it's trying to acclimate to the humidity level, depending on where you are in Texas. I have a large N. miranda that I had in my mini greenhouse for most of its life, then took it out for a hanging basket in the living room. Humidity in Colorado is famously low, and it took 8 months for it to start pitchering again.
    The fertilizer may be another thing. If the plant gets enough fertilizer in the soil or through the actual leaves, then it will be less inclined to make pitchers, as it already has its nutrients. Temperatures shouldn't be a problem for this one, as it's well known to brave temps from 45-95 degrees.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just water it with distilled water to rinse out all the extra fertilizer. These stor bought nepenthes already are assualted with a lof of fertilizer when they're in the nurseries. When they recieve fertilizer, they will not pitcher as there is no need to spend energy on pitchers if you're getting them from the soil.

So stop the fertilizer would be my recommendation, and some neps also take a while to acclimitize, miranda should take low humidity fine. Maybe put it in ashadier area.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live North of Dallas and the humidity here can be variable throughout the year but its been quite rainy and humid these past few months. Hasn't dropped below 40% since I've purchased it.

I'll definitely try cutting back on fertilizing the plant and look for a shadier location.

I only worry about its heat tolerance because summer daytime temps can reach over a 100 degrees for days at a time around here. Its not there yet but in a months time...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely stop fertilizing the plant and flush it with copious clean water. One person's idea of "fertilizing lightly once a month" might be modest for many plants, but may be far too much for Nepenthes. Remember, these plants adapted tools for obtaining their nutrients from an environment where soil is nutrient deprived.
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 05-05-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine started pitching when I raised the humidity so thats probably what needs to be done.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say keep doing what you're doing and give it time. When I got mine, it took a year to start pitchering even though it was growing great. But once it started, it kept it going and did it wonderfully. For temps, mine was up in the rafters of my greenhouse, under a shade cloth... I don't know the temps, but surely it was warmer than the 85ish I kept that greenhouse at. Here it is shortly after it started pitchering in my care...

And when it was making uppers also...

I love that plant.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also say go easy on the fertilizer and just give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    The bigger concern is going to be how much night temps drop, moreso than how hot the days get. If night temps don't consistently drop below 60F, you will see pitchering stop and other signs of stress.
    If I'm not mistaken, N. miranda is a lowland/intermediate hybrid, and as such doesn't require nighttime temperature drops; mine has been growing in lowland conditions for 2 years and is extremely happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast