Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot Highlanders

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Kinda hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the front face projects forward a little bit where the controls and blower exit are? Maybe instead you could put the unit on the outside and cut a hole that will allow you to put that small front section through into the greenhouse? You would need to protect the unit I guess from the elements if it was outside but if you only have the back drawing air from outside that will probably cause the unit to draw more through the sides, and covering the sides up will cause a considerable drop in air flow by restricting the input.
    The pics are looking at it from the back. The front has the blower and the controls and the top and back have filling holes.

Don't think I'll be able to keep it outside the greenhouse. After having my friend's greenhouse catch his house on fire due to electrical malfunctions, anything that involves risk I'm kinda out on. I'd much rather have it inside the greenhouse.

It should be drawing a lot from the back still to add new air into the greenhouse, even with the sides drawing the humid air of the greenhouse. I think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant the photo from the link.. but no matter.

I have no idea how much it will help to have just the back exposed to the outside. Guess it's better than nothing. Don't forget though that if you are pulling outside air in, you need a place of at least equal size to let the inside air out. Might be enough to just leave the door slightly ajar.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I meant the photo from the link.. but no matter.

I have no idea how much it will help to have just the back exposed to the outside. Guess it's better than nothing. Don't forget though that if you are pulling outside air in, you need a place of at least equal size to let the inside air out. Might be enough to just leave the door slightly ajar.
    Yeah, leaving the door open should work. When it rains, it doesn't come in through the door when open, so that will work out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this guide has really helped me a lot, and so far it has held true for me. http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/nep...ure-Chart.html
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    this guide has really helped me a lot, and so far it has held true for me. http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/nep...ure-Chart.html
    Thanks, that will help a lot! I believe I have seen that before, but now I'll bookmark it and print it out to take it with me to the nep store so I can make an educated purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only grow lowland species. The setup is pretty easy and cheap that I've got if you're interested. Basically its just a grow rack from lowes with a humidifier and a 4 ft, 4 tube HO T5 and a big tray in the bottom to catch the water that drips down the walls of the tent that covers the grow rack I get 90F days and 70F nights and about an 85-100% humidity
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update...

Left the greenhouse door open today, and before I left home, I made sure the swamp cooler was all the way full. It came on at 12:00, and it kept the humidity at 60%, and it raised to nearly 80% after wetting down the floor.

The pitchers that were getting wilty are still wilty. They fix themselves after about 7:00 PM and wilt the next day... Not sure why. The temperature was a much more manageable 80F today, the temperature last night was 52F... They were kept incredibly wet today, the sphag didn't dry out. So I really have no clue what is happening. Maybe the shock of being moved from low light to high light? I noticed the new leaves on most of the plants were lighter than the last ones, and on the ventrata they're even tainted yellow, but not too much.

So I guess the problem is temperature now. It doesn't look like it would be a long job, just cut a hold and put tape around it. I may be able to do that today even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do realize it takes several MONTHS for Nepenthes to adapt fully?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast