What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small pitchers after period of stunted growth?

thez_yo

instigator
Why, after a period of slowed/no/mal-formed growth is the first pitcher a Nepenthes pops out decidedly smaller (and I'm talking about like half the size here) than what the plant should be making? Even if the leaf it grows in is normal sized. All of my plants do this after suffering through the winter outside and I'm wondering if anyone has a theory. The second pitcher they grow in is more appropriately sized, of course. My only thought is that it was still 'sorta crappy' conditions when the first one grew in so it was small.

don't know but agree ,mine do the same,sometimes for a few pitchers

Maybe its just acclimating to the new conditions. Give it some time.

same thing happens to me... I guess they're just adapting in a wierd way....

I get the same thing every time something happens to any of mine that they do not like. I also always get the "little lid" syndrome on that 1st new pitcher after an environmental change, good or bad. It might be just that they're slow to adjust to change and kind of put out that next pitcher sloppily because they are going to keep doing what they do, but haven't adjusted completely yet.

Often, the first pitchers of the season tend to be stunted; though, on occasion, many of my more mature plants will send out a "dud" later in the season -- just to tick me off. Chalk it up to Nepenthes' perverse streak . . .

Often, the first pitchers of the season tend to be stunted; though, on occasion, many of my more mature plants will send out a "dud" later in the season -- just to tick me off. Chalk it up to Nepenthes' perverse streak . . .

Ah, is that why I love them so much :lol:

Troll-nep strikes again! :mwahaha:

My neps do this randomly. No change in conditions (they are grown in an indoor grow tent) that I watch closely. But my sanguinea that was putting out nice 8" pitchers a few months back is now putting out pathetic 2" pitchers. This 'syndrome' seems to rotate randomly from nep to nep, without rhyme or reason. ???

I find that the "small lid syndrome" only occurs in truncatas , truncata hybrids or robcantleyis (leading me to believe that robcantleyi is a subspecies or variety) and its usually after shipping or after repot

I find that the "small lid syndrome" only occurs in truncatas , truncata hybrids or robcantleyis (leading me to believe that robcantleyi is a subspecies or variety) and its usually after shipping or after repot

My pure lowii suffered from this so I am inclined to believe it affects more than just truncata.

ya my lowii X truncate had this happen to it really bad so most likely a combo...

I have an aristo x spectabilis also doing the bitty pitcher thing, after recovering from illness.

Dunno - but this seems logical to me. Anything that impacts a plant enough to make it produce no pitchers (temps, low humidity, poor media, bugs, etc) is obviously stressing the plant. How / why should the plant immediately resume normal / optimal growth when the stressors go away? ??? Do you immediately resume normal activities soon after being massively stressed (ie: surgery, etc)?

As for the plants who produce small pitchers for 'no reason', I tend to figure that there is a reason but I've been too oblivious (being my normal, human self) to have observed the nepenthesly-obvious conditions that impacted their life enough to warrant some significant change (tiny pitcher, small lid, etc). So when the weird stuff happens, it's just a signal to be more like a Nepenthes to understand .... :lol: :crazy: :rolleyes: :cool:

Back