What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes attenboroughii

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha really? It looks fairly happy so hopefully it will grow a little.

In my experience, plants straight from BE pout for a couple months before sending out any new growth. Of course, my conditions are brutal.

Yea I would imagine it takes a while for them to adapt to your conditions. Although doesn't BE harden their plants off before shipping?

Nice! Good luck with it. I just looked at the price, wow.....

Congrats. So exciting. Can't wait for it to start growing. It's an intermediate? I didn't know that. I thought it was an ultra highlander. Well if your conditions don't work send it my way. ;) Seriously it's finally nice to see this.

Hi all
Well we I Europe have no problem with attenboroughii, we don't have any. Haha just a joke.

What I can tell and know is that the seeds we got back in 2007 was very bad batch. I remember that many people including me got seed from stewart at the EEE in Leiden.
I placed the seed in TC and they germinated fine, after a couple of weeks all plants died overnight.
The same happed to the seedlings I have germinated as usual.
After this I contacted other people and heard similare things.

I have one plant left from 2007 and this is a pain(intermediate conditiOns)

Now since last year I heard from many people that the new batch of seed spread around very fast. And I take a guess that there are now hundreds of new plants

I have about 150plants in TC that come from 3different peaks and 5 latitudes
They grow very good "so far"

Very nice, Heli. Can't wait to see some pitchers on it.

Congrats on getting one!

Not so much of a reaction on the pitcher-plant forums, eh?

Awesome. It looks like it's in fine form.

You do know that BE is not actually located in Borneo right?

Yea I just learned that :lol:

Sorry to bring up a semi-old-ish thread, but I must know how your plant is doing, Heli! Its been about a month, so, is the little guy surviving/thriving?? I never knew, and am fascinated that such a plant is an intermediate! So, I know its a bit early in the game, but could you let me in on what you think it likes/dislikes and its difficulty level? Also, what are all of your conditions for it? Thanks :-D

Hi Tyler, I actually traded it a little while ago. I had talked to some people who grow attenboroughii and it turns out it will supposedly start pouting with night temps in the low 50s (which I get). I decided to trade them for plants of equal value that would be more suitable for my conditions.

Oh, okay, interesting. I know if I were in that situation, I would give it to someone who could care for it ASAP, rather than letting it die! An honorable move! So, do you know what temps it likes exactly? Like 60s to high 70s, for example? And have you been told/ do you feel its picky about humidity? Sorry for all the Q's, I'd just love to know as much about this species from someone who had one/ talked to others who know about them :)

Thanks for the reply and your time BTW!

no problem. supposedly it likes day temps of 70s to 80s and night temps of 60s. it likes high humidity.

Wow. Sounds like a heck of a windowsill plant to me, in a home with high humidty or some type of humitity tray under it! God bless who ever tries that though. I know I'd love to but I'd be quite scared to :blush:
We are putting an addition on our house and I am waiting for my "nepenthes room" to be finished! Can't wait! Up till now all my plants have been windowsill-ed haha. Maybe if I can get my hands on one of these once my nep room is finished, I'd could try it :boogie:
Such a magnificent plant!
I guess I could always trade it if it starts to pout.

Alright, thanks again.

Hi Tyler, I actually traded it a little while ago. I had talked to some people who grow attenboroughii and it turns out it will supposedly start pouting with night temps in the low 50s (which I get). I decided to trade them for plants of equal value that would be more suitable for my conditions.

Wow, do ANY of these rare, expensive plants ever stay in your collection for more than a few months???

umm.. yes most of them do.

Personally if I was going to buy a $200+ plant I think I'd do a little research on there cultural requirements before I bought one.

Although, in Lucas defense I always assumed attenboroughii was a HL/UHL plant too

You got a good deal in that trade; I would have done the same thing.

Personally if I was going to buy a $200+ plant I think I'd do a little research on there cultural requirements before I bought one.

My point exactly. Don't acquire plants you aren't certain you can grow, especially extremely rare/valuable plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back