User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Pitchers vs Feeding Pitchers?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't cut them off then. I remember reading somewhere that people were cutting the pitchers off so the plant could focus on leaf growth.

I'll spray a bit of the Maxsea in the pitchers and see what happens. Foliar fertilizing is seeming to work too. My N. alata Spotted has just produced a leaf twice as big as the one before it. My N. singalana and my N. jacquelineae are producing noticeably longer leaves as well.

As I said, most of the pitchers (in addition to the big meals I fed them) have tons of ants in them and they just keep coming. They're getting digested, and I don't think its overfeeding. Same amount as a big spider, just more surface area to work on I guess.

Thanks everyone!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I alternate bi-weekly between what Swords mentioned about flushing the soil with Grow More Urea Free and spraying the pitchers and leaves with maxsea. I use 1/4 strength with the Grow More and 1/2 - full strength with the Maxsea. I was also putting some osmocote in the pots, too, but I didn't bother the last time I repotted all the plants.

Anyway, I've found that fertilizing the roots brings about the most dramatic growth, but if your plants aren't draining freely, it can pose some problems.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot recommend this any more... it has produced bigger pitchers than any fert I've ever tried: Coffee. Some of my plants that were making 2 inch leaves now have 8 inch leaves with even bigger pitchers after 1 month of feeding!! Its simple really... just get some coffee thats not fake (used with real coffee grounds) and pour about a pint into the soil and take the plant out of its water tray. Don't dilute it, just make sure its not boiling hot and it doesn't have creamer in it. After about two days water the plant a lot to get those leftover minerals out. Trust me, this stuff works better than anything Ive ever tried over five years of testing ferts. If you want I can show you some pics of what the plants look like now .

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    I cannot recommend this any more... it has produced bigger pitchers than any fert I've ever tried: Coffee. Some of my plants that were making 2 inch leaves now have 8 inch leaves with even bigger pitchers after 1 month of feeding!! Its simple really... just get some coffee thats not fake (used with real coffee grounds) and pour about a pint into the soil and take the plant out of its water tray. Don't dilute it, just make sure its not boiling hot and it doesn't have creamer in it. After about two days water the plant a lot to get those leftover minerals out. Trust me, this stuff works better than anything Ive ever tried over five years of testing ferts. If you want I can show you some pics of what the plants look like now .
    I've been meaning to try that for a while, but I have no coffee machine and I have no clue how to make coffee. I hate the taste of coffee actually... How can I do this without a coffee machine?

Can I make mountain coffee? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0203835AABa3g2

What kind of coffee is best? Like Kona (only kind I know of) or what? Or Brazilian coffee... I don't know. I'm not a coffee person.
    Last edited by Nepenthesis; 05-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure coffee is only used to reestablish the pH level in the soil, not really for nutrients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    I'm pretty sure coffee is only used to reestablish the pH level in the soil, not really for nutrients.
    Does the pH of the soil help them that much? As to where they would put out huge leaves?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the solubility of nutrients in the soil is directly related to pH level, and those nutrients are more soluble in acidic soils and less soluble in neutral or alkaline soils. So, with several other factors, your plants will be able to obtain more nutrients from the soil if you maintain the desired pH level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    Well, the solubility of nutrients in the soil is directly related to pH level, and those nutrients are more soluble in acidic soils and less soluble in neutral or alkaline soils. So, with several other factors, your plants will be able to obtain more nutrients from the soil if you maintain the desired pH level.
    Ah, now that makes sense. I'll try coffee then and I'll see how it works. Gotta go buy some first though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast