User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Pitchers vs Feeding Pitchers?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember, you really don't need to do it that often, not like fertilizer. I think once every six months or so would be plenty, but other people may disagree.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    Just remember, you really don't need to do it that often, not like fertilizer. I think once every six months or so would be plenty, but other people may disagree.
    How quickly does the pH drop when watered with RO? I think the answer to that would determine the frequency of coffee fertilizing, if it is to only lower pH.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it would happen very quickly. But than again, I'm not sure. Sounds like an experiment you could conduct and report back to us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    I doubt it would happen very quickly. But than again, I'm not sure. Sounds like an experiment you could conduct and report back to us?
    Don't have a pH meter for soil. Guess I could borrow my friend's, he like to like grow regular plants and stuff. Bulb plants. Eugh...

But since you flush the pot after two days, wouldn't that bring the pH back up? And all of the waterings would bring it back up too.

I would think once a month would keep it on the lower end of the spectrum, but maybe once every month and a half would keep it right between acidic and neutral? I'm not good with pH stuff though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I remembered a theory that the coffee provided certain micronutrients that are not available in fertilizers

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think its really the PH change in the soil but more the absorption of nitrogen or micro nutrients while they are still dissolved in the coffee. My friend in South Africa tried coffee on his villosa with amazing results (the soil was live sphagnum). Nobody really knows why this happens, but most think it has something to do with the minerals in the coffee that can be safely absorbed into the roots. After two days, whats left cannot be absorbed which is why you wash it out. Heres a pic to show the differences in leaf size... some plants in the GH haven't been coffee fed in a long time but their massive leaf sizes are still being produced.

Photobucket

N. spathulata 1 month after feeding... the earlier leafs were 1 inch long while those big ones there are about 5 inches long and a lot fatter (and the basals are vining now)

Yeah, Id recommend the mountain coffee method... just make sure its not hot

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut 'em off. It's all about the leaves anyway.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    I don't think its really the PH change in the soil but more the absorption of nitrogen or micro nutrients while they are still dissolved in the coffee. My friend in South Africa tried coffee on his villosa with amazing results (the soil was live sphagnum). Nobody really knows why this happens, but most think it has something to do with the minerals in the coffee that can be safely absorbed into the roots. After two days, whats left cannot be absorbed which is why you wash it out. Heres a pic to show the differences in leaf size... some plants in the GH haven't been coffee fed in a long time but their massive leaf sizes are still being produced.

Photobucket

N. spathulata 1 month after feeding... the earlier leafs were 1 inch long while those big ones there are about 5 inches long and a lot fatter (and the basals are vining now)

Yeah, Id recommend the mountain coffee method... just make sure its not hot
    OH MY GOSH.

Gonna go get some coffee right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Cut 'em off. It's all about the leaves anyway.
    Do you cut off the pitchers? Has it shown noticeable effects?

I think I may just try out coffee... Nothing to lose.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast