User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone growing outside in Seattle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did try, last spring/summer.. ended up with severely sunburnt Neps. :\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brie, "severely sunburnt" doesn't sound good at all.....is that the same as first degree burns?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went from red to crispy and dead.. so more like third. and it was in the shaded area of my patio that only got direct sun for a couple hours a day, the rest just bright shade.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the plants will no doubt require a significant acclimation period. Seattle is typically more overcast than Portland though and I have heard that the summers there can be more extreme. So Seattle could potentially be easier on a Nepenthes. But do expect a slowing in growth, or all the pitchers to die, and sunburnt leaves as well, but it will most likely recover and move on from that stage. It would help to mist the plants too
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right Dexenthes. Seattle is pretty much what you described. There are brief periods of freezing with snow and hotter temps. in the 90's F but overall very middle of the road conditions for most of the year. I feel my plants are just begging to be set free outside. They just don't look happy inside but even though......they seem to carry on well.

I'll keep you all posted. I hope they don't end up like Brie's plants

Misting and sun protection.....Got it. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
    Last edited by N_CloudySkies; 06-07-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_CloudySkies View Post
    That's right Dexenthes. Seattle is pretty much what you described. As you go south, it just gets hotter and more and more "Mediterranean" like. Seattle is kinda similar in a way but with a much more mild, cooler air like conditions mostly. There are brief periods of freezing with snow and hotter temps. in the 90's F but overall very middle of the road conditions for most of the year. I feel my plants are just begging to be set free outside. They just don't look happy inside but even though......they seem to carry on "like troopers".

I talked to my Uncle because he grow alot of CPs when he was younger and he told me that he never tried to grow Nepenthes plants because they were too hard to obtain and expensive, thought of as being the most difficult to grow and needing a strict, controlled, greenhouse environment at best. This was back in the later 80's. I mentioned to him that I grow mine as house plants and he told me that people probally just learned more about them since then.

Anyway, my ventricosa and maxima are now outside. I'll keep you all posted. I hope they don't end up like Brie

Misting and sun protection.....Got it. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
    I have grown nepenthes outside in Portland, OR. I dont hink there is a bunch of difference in climate between Portland and Seattle. I had a balcony and brought them out approximatly mayish. After acclimating for about a month, they did quite well. I think taking the necessary precautions to break them in makes all the difference. I think I brought them back into the greenhouse septemberish. Anyways, it definetly can be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific!!!!! Thanks for the info truncataloven. Actually, now that I think about it you are probally right in that Seattle and Portland are not that much different weather wise. The precautions I have taken in the way of "climatizing" them to the outdoors here at this locality is by putting them right next to an open window indoors from about middle January up until just yesterday. Today I put them outside. I hope I prepared them well truncataloven. It does seem that Mayish is the time to bring them out if they last for next year here in Seattle. (fingers crossed)

The weather today doesn't seem to be a problem other then 50% humidity....but I am happy with that. The temp. is 78 degrees F which has stood pretty much constant since about 11:00am. Now at this time (6:37pm) the humidity is rising up to 60% and the temp. is the same 78 F. I have kept them out of direct sun thanks to Brie's info and I have been misting them often as advised by Dexenthes. Someone is always home so the misting will continue even if I am at work in the weeks to come. So far so good. I expect the temp. to start dropping as soon as the sun goes down. By morning it should bottom out at about 60 degrees F. Then by noon it will be back up to around 78ish. That will be the pattern for the next couple of days according to the local weather report. After that everything will be the same other than the highs during the day will be in the lower 70's now that we are predicted to get a little bit of a northerly cold front coming down from Canada.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!! I am having alot of fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse when winter comes around......I'll have to go to plan B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12