User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing outside in Seattle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone growing outside in Seattle?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried growing some Nepenthes outside in Seattle, WA? That is without a greenhouse or anything but perhaps bringing them inside briefly during freezing time......around late December? I am thinking that some of the highlanders or ultrahighlanders might adapt well to the conditions here? I read about a member here that has grown aristolochioides' outside in San Francisco with great success. I think Seattle gets about 10 degrees cooler in the winter and about 10 degrees warmer in the summer but that doesn't seem like alot of difference between the two cities and I believe that Seattle is still considered rather mild in comparison with other parts of the U.S. like the Midwest or Eastcoast. Not exactly sure but willing to give it a shot. Just wondering if someone else here on the forum has done this before with highlanders and can offer some insight from their experiences.
    Last edited by N_CloudySkies; 05-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Francisco is right on the water, completely surrounded by it. That effects the temperature a lot. I guess Seattle is that way to.

What you should be worried about is the exact temperate/humidity range. As long as it stays above 45F at night and stays below 90F during the day, you should be able to do some highlanders. I've heard that they can't take consecutive hot days, like 85-90F. So as long as it stays like 85F or less during the hottest part of the day for only a few days, you're okay. And I guess if it gets hotter or colder than you want, you can just bring them inside.

Low humidity means no pitchers. They can take lower humidity during the day and still pitcher (in fact, some of my HL took 30% during a few hours of each day for a week or two before I fixed it) as long as the nighttime humidity is higher. My nighttime humidity is like 90% inside the greenhouse because I have the swamp cooler on until later in the evening. Now that I made some modifications, the humidity stays above 50% at all times during the day, but usually stays around 60% or 70% on a cooler day. At night, it's 90% always.

Nepenthes are very hardy plants, so they don't have to be in ideal conditions. Just make sure they're in the temperature range I gave you (it's usually recommended 50-60F nights and 70-80F days, so what I gave you is pretty loose) and you shouldn't have issues. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pineapple. I think that 45F and above at night and below 90F during the day is pretty much 80 percent of the weather conditions here in Seattle during any given year. Humidity seems to rise during the night but I am not sure about the summer time. I have been using a temp/humidity gauge and recording the data on a daily basis to try to get a better idea of the local conditions. I never realized how dumb I was about this sort of thing. I always thought that hunidity is something that happens in the summer in areas other than Seattle but I have noticed during the Spring and Fall, and even Winter here that humidity can rise to near 90% even when the temperature is in the high 40's and 50's F. and usually when the rain comes. Also, it seems to me that Seattle is full of micro-climates. I have a brother who has a place out over a large lake and his humidity level tends to be higher then 40% all the time no matter what time of year it is and it goes up to between 60% to 70% easily when the sun goes down. I am hoping my conditions are the same. I certainly have alot to learn but I think growing more than a few Nepenthes Highland varieties outside would be really cool. I do have a few on the windowsill and they seem to be doing very well so far. What made me think of moving them outside is that I keep my windows open pretty much all the time and there is not that much of a difference between inside and outside my apartment. Thanks again Pineapple and I will keep posting updates for those who are interested. Very happy to be a part of this Terraforum for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff to know
    I might be attending the Art Institute this upcoming quarter and would want to bring my CPs. I think the only problem I would have is that the apartment I was looking at didn't have a balcony
    I was here...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give it a shot! I would just throw a ventricosa, or maxima, or some variation of the two out on your porch and see what happens and how you feel about it.

I bet it could do alright.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, a balcony is very nice Zacham. I am in an apartment as well and I feel very lucky to find one with a decent balcony.

Dexenthes, I am going to do exactly that. I have a maxima (not sure which kind) that has done nothing indoors but vined. No pitchers or anything. It was sitting next to the window so the leaves have nice red color but no pitchers. That is going outside. Also, I have a ventricosa red that has been a slow grower. It pitchers and everything but it is a little yellow in the leaves and doesn't seem as vigorous as some other examples I have seen on this forum. I figure more sun and bugs and it might take off outside?

My brother told me to just get a whole bunch of different plants and put them all outside to see "which one's stick" I don't think I want to do that......but kinda I guess. I'd hate to loose a plant.
    Last edited by N_CloudySkies; 05-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol that's funny, you are doing exactly what I suggested.

I know it is hard to lose a plant. I have lost many when trying new things... Oh well, though. The thing about ventricosa's or maxima's is that at least you knwo they are replaceable.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually that's a very good point Dexenthes. They are indeed replaceable so tomorrow they go out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast