User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 15

Thread: N. Spectabilis Help

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post N. Spectabilis Help

    Hello everybody!

    I just received a "large" Nepenthes Spectabilis from an online shop and was wondering if you could take a look at 2 pictures of it for me. I see that it has a nice looking small basal coming up from the soil but i'm not a complete expert and wanted to know your opinion on how the plant, in general, looks. Does it look healthy to you? I notice some leaves look like they may be on the way out and there is some red spots under the leaves in the one picture. Whats your thoughts on my specimen?
    It doesn't look in tip-top shape to me, but I want to know if you think I ought to go bother complaining.
    Also, whats your experience been with this species? I'm going to be windowsill growing for this one and have seen several people doing it.

    Thank you!!


    http://s17.postimage.org/4wg1h4rhr/photo.jpg

    http://s14.postimage.org/ugg2mbke9/photo_copy.jpg

  2. #2
    Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks okay. I think I know where you may have gotten it, the place I got my first Nepenthes from had presumably bad conditions because it took a few months to get the plant to pitcher... Looks like yours doesn't have many pitchers. Give it high humidity and good temps for a while and it should pitcher.

    The basal looks very healthy. The main vine looks okay also.

    When I got my N. ventricosa x talangensis, it had to pitchers and it looked pretty sucky... Now I love it since its pitchering! It was my first Nepenthes and I thought it would come with traps, blah blah, so I was pretty bummed about getting one with no traps. Now it looks amazing and is producing upper pitchers... So my advice to you is give it high humidity and optimal HL conditions and it will pitcher in no time.

  3. #3
    dsrtfox1942's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Looks ok to me. I have a spectabilis 'pangulobao'. I tried growing it on my windowsill like I do most of my larger neps. and it just didn't like it. It occasionally pitchered, but never grew any size andjust wasn't as happy as it could be. As soon as I moved it into my terrarium, it improved drastically. Just my experience as everyones conditions vary. Like P-apple said, higher humidity and HL conditions will always help. This was the one Nep. that just didn't do well on my windowsill. My Nep. spectabilis x truncata loves my windowsill however. The one on the right:



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Looks okay. I think I know where you may have gotten it, the place I got my first Nepenthes from had presumably bad conditions because it took a few months to get the plant to pitcher... Looks like yours doesn't have many pitchers. Give it high humidity and good temps for a while and it should pitcher.

    The basal looks very healthy. The main vine looks okay also.

    When I got my N. ventricosa x talangensis, it had to pitchers and it looked pretty sucky... Now I love it since its pitchering! It was my first Nepenthes and I thought it would come with traps, blah blah, so I was pretty bummed about getting one with no traps. Now it looks amazing and is producing upper pitchers... So my advice to you is give it high humidity and optimal HL conditions and it will pitcher in no time.
    Yeah, the little basal does look promising. Thanks for the advice

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox1942 View Post
    I agree. Looks ok to me. I have a spectabilis 'pangulobao'. I tried growing it on my windowsill like I do most of my larger neps. and it just didn't like it. It occasionally pitchered, but never grew any size andjust wasn't as happy as it could be. As soon as I moved it into my terrarium, it improved drastically. Just my experience as everyones conditions vary. Like P-apple said, higher humidity and HL conditions will always help. This was the one Nep. that just didn't do well on my windowsill. My Nep. spectabilis x truncata loves my windowsill however. The one on the right:
    Yep, I got the pangulobao variety as well. Thanks for the tips! And great job, your plants look great

  6. #6
    dueoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a little dry to me! But it'l be fine with some tlc! And there's a lot of promise with those basals.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dueoka View Post
    Looks a little dry to me! But it'l be fine with some tlc! And there's a lot of promise with those basals.
    Shockingly, it was still moist when it arrived, however, I still watered it. Yeah, I'm confident it will do fine and the basals will turn up gorgeous. Only one concern, I've read several things on nepenthes pruning without full understanding. So, eventually, once I get one or two basals to a decent size with pitchers, can I decapitate that cruddy-looking main vine if it doesn't give me any good pitchers or anything(I don't care about flowering)? Is it safe to get rid of a main vine altogether once you have established basals?

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    dueoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup you can cut the vine and try to root it! Then you can have more than one! Another option would be to cut the vine two or three inches above the soil. That way you might get some shoots along the vine.
    some shoots along the vine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •