Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fungal infection??

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this on a couple of the recently acuired neps. Red spots that later grew and turned brown. The person that I got the plants from suggested it was due to the shock of translplanting or shock due to change in growing conditions. What is interesting is that in the same pot as an affected plant grew its smaller sibling, and although it was in close contact with the affected plant, it shows no red spots...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dashman! I appreciate the input! So are some nep leaves just red anyways? I have had the truncata x spectabilis for quite awhile now and it hasnt changed much, besides the new leaves being a more solid redish color instead of the blotchy red leaves that it came with...

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Not an expert...

I don't really see any cause for concern. Looks like the plants are adjusting to higher light levels. I have truncata x spectabilis and it does the same thing since it is growing in high light. Some nepenthes' leaves will turn a bronze to red color in higher light intensity, some have spots here and there. As long as the leaves aren't burning you should be OK.

If you find you are burning the leaves, you could move the light a little higher away from the plants and inch or two, and then re-evaluate.
    I think its the little purple/red spots that the OP is referring to. I have those on my plants with green leaves, and they've had those even in a terrarium under T5 and T12...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I'm starting to feel a little better! thanks Gill, and everyone! Ill just leave them be for now and see what happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tje25 View Post
    Thanks Dashman! I appreciate the input! So are some nep leaves just red anyways? I have had the truncata x spectabilis for quite awhile now and it hasnt changed much, besides the new leaves being a more solid redish color instead of the blotchy red leaves that it came with...
    Red leaves is usually a reaction of high light. Think plant sunburn. Few nepenthes have red leaves naturally. Of course I haven't been watching them as closely as you, but it looks like your plants are getting more light than they are used to and in the upper limits of what they can take. As long as new growth looks healthy and isn't in decline and pitchering they should be OK. If you notice they are continually getting too red and/or leaves aren't lasting as long as they should, go ahead and move the lights away from the plant a little and then re-evaluate after a few weeks.

Again, not an expert. Just going by my own experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I think its the little purple/red spots that the OP is referring to. I have those on my plants with green leaves, and they've had those even in a terrarium under T5 and T12...
    Yeah, those looked like nectar glands with too much sun. Some of my plants have bumps where nectar glands are, and they get red from time to time.

Again, not an expert. Just going by my own experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Dash! i really appreciate it... although...they are still under the same amount and kind of t-5 bulbs that they have been under, but they are under a 4 bulb fixture instead of two 2 bulb fixtures...even a little farther away (maybie a couple inches)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here is the breakdown of what I see is going on

The red dots- do not worry about those, they are more than likely blocked nectar glands, think of them as plant pimples, I see this very frequently.

Red leaves on the tujuh singalana, you are correct, light increase will sometimes redden a plants leaves, this is normal, and is fine.

The red leaves on the spect x truncata. Spectabilis is notorious a red leaved species, it makes since that it's hybrids could have this trait, no cause for concern there...

Your plants look healthy and fine, if you have any other issues bring it up, someone can answer it I'm sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast