Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird Nepenthes infection [HELP]

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at the roots I'm pretty sure its fungus knat larvae... they look small and kinda shiny... few weeks ago before this whenever I watered my bical hundreds of these things crawled out... now Im pretty sure why they spread so fast. Anyone know how to treat these? Would a 50/50 quick alcohol water soak do the job?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnat larvae are small maggot/worm looking things not shiny bugs.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far nothing seems to have happened and the signs have gotten worse. So far, I am able to nail down a few major side affects as well as some weird "bite marks" I have seen.

If you can see those black dots appeared just a few days ago. They seem very similar to the nectar glands on N. glandlifleria. On the other side of the leaf all there is is a bump.

Photobucket

Side affect # 2: Some growth points have been completely obliterated (snapped off) by a simple brush-by of a leg...etc which wouldn't have done anything to the un-infected plants. (side affect # 1 was the brightening of the leaves)

Photobucket

Side affect #3: Pitchers open up way too early or turn brown and die before developing... yes, in the second picture those pitchers have nearly turned completely brown.

Early opening pitcher...
    Photobucket

Dead pitchers
    Photobucket

Does anyone know what this is? I am leaving in two days and would like to leave the plants healthy or at least on the road to recovery while in the hands of my parents... the least they can do is keep the plants alive for two weeks.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really weird... Make sure it doesn't get to the other neps. Isolate the ones that have it. It may be an internal disease that would be hard to treat, so the plants may end up dying since there aren't any external visible pests to see... Sorry, I'm being extremely negative, but there are some plant diseases that are internal, that's what I mean to say. Not sure of any meds for that that wouldn't kill neps... Good luck with recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO far Ive treated the plants with 50/50 water alcohol and washed them off right after... I don't know what this will do but this has worked for me mostly in the past 5 years so I hope the culprit is gone.

Pine: I doubt that it's internal due to the bite marks Im seeing but who knows I sure have never seen this before.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, this is weird... I was just out in my greenhouse putting sphagnum around two large nep pots. On a new leaf, I knocked the tendril clean off from the leaf. No stub left. It just detached. I thought of your issue. I kinda see what you mean now by you damaged the tendril from just knocking it with your leg. To my knowledge, mine is a healthy plant, so maybe that would have even happened on one with no troubles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't separate that easily... only small plants and plants fresh out of TC do that because they don't really have much strong tissue holding the stem and leaf up. I really have no idea what is the cause of your plant's tendril snapping and the weird infection Im seeing unless someone thats willing to help replies to this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance- any update on this? I had some similar problems with some of my neps and I found some very small inconspicuous bugs when I examined a leaf under a microscope. Turned out to be thrips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast