Thread: Weird Nepenthes infection [HELP]

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Weird Nepenthes infection [HELP]

Hello y'all
    Recently the majority of my Nepenthes started to produce pale, wavy leaves with wavy and deformed pitchers. Does anyone know what type of fungus, mite...etc caused this?? Im about to leave on a trip so I don't have time to get any special fungicide...etc but I do have Physan 20 and alcohol at my side... please help!

Heres some pics...

See what I mean about the pale leaves..
    Photobucket

Deformed pitcher
    Photobucket

This is really troubling me as I don't see any bite marks or anything really... just what you see in the photos.

Edit: the plants are getting sufficient light and have been enjoying it ever since they were bought long ago.
    - Lance
    Last edited by lance; 06-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alcohol really stuck it to every duck I knew with my N. densiflora x spectabilis... If there's nothing visible to treat, that would be pointless...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a lot of things:

Any condition changes? Could be humidity, lack of light, temps, etc.

Could be moisture stress. What sort of media ratio are you using?

Have you applied any chemicals recently? Sometimes fungicides can cause these sorts of problems.

I've seen this happen with thrips infestations, but there would be tell-tale signs if that were the case, such as protruding bumps all over new, unfurled leaves.

Lastly, my ventricosa did this when it was about to flower... but you'd see the spike.

All in all, I don't think you've got much of a problem on your hands. Likely just the plant adjusting to some kind of condition shift..
    Last edited by mato; 06-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condition changes: Not any that I know of everything has stayed the same except it has gotten a bit warmer as summer comes along..the misters still work

Media: I haven't changed the media yet as they haven't needed repots. . . the watering times are still the same, but there is one thing about the water... for a certain unknown time the RO filter ceased up and the water tank was left to ferment, building up nasty stuff like algae oils. I fixed this about a week ago and now a new RO system has been placed in.

^Now that I think of it, I believe that this may have been the problem. Still, I have no idea how long it will take for them to recover.

I just took a look at the highland plants again and saw that they all have abnormally small tendrils. I still doubt the water was the problem though with the highlanders because they've been receiving water mostly through the fogger's distilled mist. Any idea what could be causing this? I doubt that it's the conditions due to the fact that they are still receiving highland temps and getting humidity since about a month ago. Could it be the humidity causing this?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an expert... but, there really isn't enough to go on here. The pics don't really show much.

Maybe a pic of the crown, any deformed leaves, the media.

To me it looks like you took a pic of a vine. Some nepenthes produce thinner and more dainty uppers. And some do better when propped up or are allowed to wrap around things to secure themselves before inflating pitchers.

If that's the case, there may not be anything wrong with the plant at all. The vine is just waiting to get a footing before it spends energy to grow further. You may see a basal form soon otherwise.

I'm not saying this is the case, as I really can't see the plant as a whole or what conditions it is growing in. Just taking a guess based on the pics I see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I highly doubt humidity is the issue, unless it was too high causing fungus. I have grown plants on my windowsill for years. New plants that have come out of a greenhouse or terrarium get accustomed to the lower humidity and do fine. I have never had an issue like this. Plants usually slow down, don't pitcher at all, then spring back.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you looked closely within the soil? sounds like it may be fungus gnat larvae, they eat the small adventitious roots.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or mealybugs in the roots.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast