What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toothless hamata

its fairly simple.. just fill a tupperware with water and sprinkle a little salt. That way you dont have to bag the plant every night.

When I order plants they come in all size of sandwhich bags. Where can I get those. I have only seen the regular ones and the gallon ones.
One place is eBay. You can find almost every size you can imagine ...

No, Heli. I like Whim's idea and want to keep this simple. I'm not going rig extra stuff up for my fridge when it works fine.

Whimgrinder, that's something I have been meaning to ask on here. When I order plants they come in all size of sandwhich bags. Where can I get those. I have only seen the regular ones and the gallon ones.
I get big bags 3 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon and bigger...from my local Fred Meyer....in the laundry supply section.

Thanks RL. I'll look on Ebay.
Boxofrain, we don't have Fred Meyer down here but I'll keep an eye out for them in different stores.

I'd still skip the windowsill during the day. Plants take weeks, months, and some, even years to acclimate to lower humidity. Your confusing the poor little guy. Imagine taking a damp sponge and putting it on your windowsill for few hours. It's gonna dry out. Your doing the same thing to your plant. It's basically getting dehydrated for the couple hours it's out, then re-hydrated when it goes back. Plants develop a wax like coating when grown in lower humidity to protect it from drying out fast. This is why people use the bagging method when they get fresh plants, particularly fresh from tissue culture. It gives them a chance to adjust and acclimate. I just received a macrophylla from AW. I am using the bag method to acclimate it from whatever AW's conditions are to my terrarium which has a RH of 70-75%. Larger plants make adjustments quicker and with less effect, but these small TC plants need time to adjust. My AW hamata clone 1, just started to really grow after 1 year and 3 months. For that time it simply maintained. Also, for a plant to go from lights to sun can result in sun burn, but there is no evidence of that on your plant. Like the others have said, it looks good, but for the long haul, consistency is key.

i recon the lights are too far away at two foot,i would have them between 18 and 12 inches,

just give it time im sure it will acclimate just fine, for instance i grow dews, sars, nepenthes, helis, cephs even darlingtonia all within the same enclosure, same conditions, they may look lie poop for a bit or not what you expect but in time they all learn and adapt quite well.

Back