Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toothless hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whimgrinder, the tank at night is in the upper 70's so that would kill hamata. I have to move it out into the fridge. I'd love to have a way to cool the tank but I don't. Other than that I'm glad you think it's looking good. Plus every Friday is tank cleaning day and I take out all the plants once a week to suck up the bad water condensed from the humidifier. Currently working on that now for both my tanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagirion View Post
    Whimgrinder, the tank at night is in the upper 70's so that would kill hamata. I have to move it out into the fridge. I'd love to have a way to cool the tank but I don't.
    I was referring specifically to this quote: "Every morning it goes in the window and gets 2-3 hours of sunlight. Then it goes back into my tank where it is under two t8 lamps for a total of 4 bulbs." That suggests you are moving the plant from a very closed humid environment, into the open air of the house, where humidity is lower. I'd skip that part, if possible, and rely solely on your lights. Move the plant closer, if need be.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you live in central florida, Im afraid theres no natural way to cool the plant. I grow my highlanders in the garage where all I need is that 50 degree weather with the fog to come through the window.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, no natural way, Lance. But that's why I use a fridge.
    Whim, Yes I did say that. I just put a hygrometer in the fridge. Humidity in there is currently 45%. Don't know what I can do to raise it. Humidity in the house, it's been raining a lot, is currently 66%. Plus my plant gets sprayed every morning while it's out in the room so the lowest humidity it experiences is in the fridge where it HAS to go every night for several hours. The 2-3 hours of sun it gets in the morning in higher humidity I think is really helping though still not enough. I know that real sunlight is way better than the lights I have and those few hours help. Though lately I have been skipping that step only because it's been raining and dark for a few day straight. And it is raised in the tank. It's the only plant that's on a pedestal.

New Nepenthes tank. Happy Plants by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Old set up but the principle is the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagirion View Post
    Whimgrinder, the tank at night is in the upper 70's so that would kill hamata. I have to move it out into the fridge. I'd love to have a way to cool the tank but I don't. Other than that I'm glad you think it's looking good. Plus every Friday is tank cleaning day and I take out all the plants once a week to suck up the bad water condensed from the humidifier. Currently working on that now for both my tanks.
    My hamatas regularly experience 80's during the day. Sometimes even 90's and they're OK. As long as you have a temp drop at night, you should be fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the RH in the fridge is only 45% at night, I would mist the plant lightly and put it in a Tupperware container to hold in the moisture. N. hamata expects very high humidity during the night, and it seems to me this is easily done, with a bit more engineering ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thez.
    Whim, that's a good idea. I could think of something to put it in, though it will be a problem when it gets big.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its really small so I don't think it would be affected by getting moved into the fridge (heli's would fair worse with their nimble roots). Right now I think you should find a way to increase the humidity in the fridge when it goes in at night. I'd recommend getting a ultrasonic humidifier (looks like a round metal disk with a hole in the top) and placing it in a glass of water beside the hamata in the fridge. You could always hook it up to a humidistat if your worried the fridge will be "underwater" the next morning.

Edit: just posted this right after they did and now that I think if it I would certainly recommend the tubberware idea.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast