Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toothless hamata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Toothless hamata

I have had my first hamata for 3 months now. It has made about one new pitcher a month but never keeps more than two. I'm hoping one day it will make a rosette like I see in the pics. There are two probs I'm not sure what to do about. I don't think they are major problems but just annoying. Here's my hamata right now.

Hamata 3 months by Thagirion3, on Flickr

First off it's green. When I got it the two pitchers it had were beautiful mottled colors of burgandy on a green background. I know this plant gets enough light. Every morning it goes in the window and gets 2-3 hours of sunlight. Then it goes back into my tank where it is under two t8 lamps for a total of 4 bulbs. Two are cool white bulbs and the other are daylight bulbs of 6500k. Temps are as much as 80 in the day and nights are 50-52F. Humidity is around 70%-90%. Here's the other problem.

Toothless hamata? by Thagirion3, on Flickr

The latest pitchers seem toothless. When I look at this pic full size I see little ridges so it did try to make teeth but not as defined when I first got it and it has smaller pitchers. Yes it is a hamata and not a tentaculata. It had beautiful teeth when I first got it.

Toothless hamata 02? by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Here's the previous pitcher that without the camera also looks toothless. Other than that it seems very healthy and growing at a steady pace. It's just annoying that it's a hamata with no teeth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need lots of light to colour up if they're AW clones. And my villosa has the problem of not unfurling teeth on its tiny pitchers... I'm thinking it might be a humidity problem on my end, but it really seems like you might need more light or just give it more time to settle in?

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant seems very healthy. However you've only had it for 3 months, it could still be going through some adjusting process/ Also the new pitcher should colour up, generally the bigger the pitcher the more colourful and more developed it will be. So if the pitchers that were colourful and more toothy were bigger than the new ones, then that is the reason why.

I see little teeth on yours, it is just small, and the teeth aren't very defined. Usually colouration makes the teeth pop out more even if they're small. There is nothing wrong with it, with time you'll see bigger and more colourful pitchers with more menacing teeth!
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your pulling it out of the terrarium and out of the humidity, for a few hours of sun, this might be a problem. Plants like stable conditions. If you have proper lighting, leave it be. Artificial lighting is never as good as natural sun light, but when plants are as particular as ours, steady conditions are most important. When I received my hamata, it was bagged up for around 2 months as I slowly acclimated it to my terrariums conditions, and it hasn't left since except for the occasional pic. Also, some plants just don't appear normal for a while when they are fresh out of TC. Under my lights, which I know aren't the best, my AW hamata's leaves are purplish and pitchers get nice and dark.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "toothlessness" is just a juvenile characteristic. The plant appears fine otherwise . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sphagnum seems happy in it's pot, so once again its probably just young. I've never heard anything about AW clones needing more light (the person I got mine from grows his batch in a little shade). If the plant is that green then I would recommend getting stronger UV lights. Those seem to bring in the color for me.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that I'm doing well with this guy but also probably worrying too much. Carnivore, this is the biggest pitcher (thought still tiny) it has ever had. Sitting still is not an option because it goes into my fridge every night for that 50 degree drop. I only have three highlands and they go into the fridge so the following morning it's very easy to put them in the East window for real sun light because I know that makes up for the 4 T8 bulbs. I'm planning to get a 4 T5 rig once I get some money, which is still a long ways off. It gets sprayed once out of the fridge to make up for the room humidity which holds well around 50%. It's in a 55 gallon tank so the lights are about 2 feet over the plants. It is an AW3 clone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving the plant in and out of an enclosed space is not ideal:conditions should be consistent. That said, I see nothing wrong with your plant that won't be resolved with time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast