What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Layer success - N. hamata

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Ron and I both started air layer attempts on our N. hamatas about the same time. I forgot to write my date down, but it was around January.
We both noticed roots in about 5 months time.
5/19 I cut my air layer off the main plant and potted it.
Around a week ago I noticed the the node starting to swell.
The following picture is from yesterday, right before watering.

NhamataNode.jpg

Once this gets going, I'm going to try to air layer the nodes left on the cutting.

So how's yours doing Ron?

Interesting... Never heard of this technique. What exactly is it? I'm guessing it has something to do with a layer of air -- no medium -- around a portion of the cutting? Amiwrong?

did you make slices into the stem and remove the outer layer as you would with a more woody plant or just make a cut for the callus tissue to form from? Very interesting :)

Neat! I've never done any air-layering I just grab the knife and chop vines.

Have you ever done any straight up single node cuttings on N. hamata vines without air-layering? When I did mine I used rootone powder and had a terrible success rate, I'd always used a Superthrive soak or just soak in plain distilled water and had 90%+ successes but since I did all my hamata cuttings with rootone (about 4 feet worth) I didn't know if they were necessarily more finicky than any other Neps for rooting cuttings or if it was the rootone to blame. Most of my other cuttings that year were done with rootone and did not do as well as previous years (plants I'd propagated fine before) so I was blaming the rootone. But if you guys are air layering perhaps they are harder to just cut and root than any others?

now thats interesting... Im assuming the roots are encouraged out of a node on the vine which is then cut off after the roots have formed? Very interesting, to say the least. Congrats!

Interesting... Never heard of this technique. What exactly is it?
There is a thread on the technique - basically slice the stem, insert piece of LFS, wrap with LFS, seal up w/ plastic wrap (there are more details but see article for them). This was my 1st hamata cutting so I preferred a method that wasn't all or nothing. This cutting developed roots after ~5 months.

I also did a jamban around the same time but it aborted the main stem and sprouted a basal. I didn't notice this since the aborted part of the stem was hidden from view. When I finally noticed, I cut the vine into two pieces & stuck them in LFS. One quickly died & the other has stayed green and just recently started to unfurl a leaf.

Due to space issues, I've taken cuttings for the remaining vining parts of aristo (3-4) & hamata (3-4). In a small tank, if you wait until the plant starts to vine to start an air-layer (pretty-much the only time there is enough space between nodes), then the vine is out of control by the time roots have developed... Other than that, I very much like the technique and used it frequently with houseplants many years ago (rubber plants, Dieffenbachia, etc).

Have you ever done any straight up single node cuttings on N. hamata vines without air-layering?
The ones I just did were all multi-node. Some are in water & some in live LFS. Based on the ICPS tutorial, I also kept one node at or below the surface of the media in case the plant needs to send up a basal at some point in the future.

Last edited:
oh wow, far out!
I had no idea what this air layering jazz was until you shared that link Ron.
This is a super cool concept I'm really excited to work with.

Wow very cool! It seems safer then rooting cuttings since theres still nutrients fling from the mother plant. I look forward to testing this technique! Certainly more space-saving then regular rooting!

Thanks for posting the link Ron.

@swords - I've had bad success with cuttings also. Maybe because I was greedy and only made 1 node cuttings? The last time I made cutting I got around 15 - 1 node cuttings. I had 2 strike. I know some people say no less then 2 nodes, 3's better.

I have 5 - 3 node cuttings I'm trying to strike now. Not sure how well they will do as they are all from the woody vine, which seems to be harder to strike.

Very informative! Thanks for the link and your personal experiences.

Would any of those cuttings be for sale because i really want a cutting of a hamata vine

Good luck with your hamata cuttings.
Could someone post a tutorial here? It would be nice to see one on this forum without having to go to another site and have images that show up on the page. Even a well explained step by step guide would be appreciated.

Could someone post a tutorial here? It would be nice to see one on this forum without having to go to another site and have images that show up on the page.
I'm not going to plagiarize Stephen's well-thought-out guide and I cannot justify creating my own since my experience with this technique is minimal. Simply signing up on the CPUK forum provides all the images in the thread. Easy-peasy. Access to international growers not present on TF (Europeans, Brazilians, etc) and their wealth of knowledge (& great pics) is well worth the cost of membership (free). IMHO.

Last edited:
I didn't say you ,RL7836 specifically make one. I said, if someone could make one. Anyone that has had experience doing so could make one and it is not plagiarizing. If I had the know how I could make one without a second thought. No, at the moment I will not be joining that board. One board is enough and I prefer that this is US based. I talk to international growers on my youtube just fine without having to join another forum. Besides if I can't see what the site looks like without joining then it is very likely I shall not join at all. That was the whole point of asking for someone to post one here anyway. I do not care to click away to another site.

Would any of those cuttings be for sale because i really want a cutting of a hamata vine

Generally speaking it's considered rude to blatantly ask to buy plants from people when they are not offered as such. You should also read the terms for this forum which prohibit buying/selling items. AND FINALLY You should also either include the fact that you are in South Africa or fix your profile. You are well aware of the difficulties shipping CITES plants around the world. It is inappropriate not to include such vital information for the person whom you may be setting up a trade with.

must admit i thought cpuk and tf had a wealth of international knowlege,good luck with the cuttings,and i think ron means why should someone else do the leg work when the info is already available,as far as i can tell anyone from any place is welcome on either forum and thats a good thing yes

More "gimme gimme" behavior on the forum. It seems the "trade etiquette" discussion has had little impact. :-(

Interesting... Never heard of this technique. What exactly is it? I'm guessing it has something to do with a layer of air -- no medium -- around a portion of the cutting? Amiwrong?

Google is your friend. :)

It takes 5 minutes to sign up on a forum, then another 5 minutes at most to find the thread on air-layering. Thats a whole 10 minutes compared to the time it takes to actually take photos and set up a how to thread, which would take hours to do properly. Why not sign up to CPUK just for the info you're asking about? Not like they make you sign a contract stating you must be an active member...

I didn't say you ,RL7836 specifically make one. I said, if someone could make one. Anyone that has had experience doing so could make one and it is not plagiarizing. If I had the know how I could make one without a second thought. No, at the moment I will not be joining that board. One board is enough and I prefer that this is US based. I talk to international growers on my youtube just fine without having to join another forum. Besides if I can't see what the site looks like without joining then it is very likely I shall not join at all. That was the whole point of asking for someone to post one here anyway. I do not care to click away to another site.

Last edited:
Sorry didnt know wont ask again

Back