Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Layer success - N. hamata

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Layer success - N. hamata

Ron and I both started air layer attempts on our N. hamatas about the same time. I forgot to write my date down, but it was around January.
    We both noticed roots in about 5 months time.
    5/19 I cut my air layer off the main plant and potted it.
    Around a week ago I noticed the the node starting to swell.
    The following picture is from yesterday, right before watering.

Once this gets going, I'm going to try to air layer the nodes left on the cutting.

So how's yours doing Ron?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... Never heard of this technique. What exactly is it? I'm guessing it has something to do with a layer of air -- no medium -- around a portion of the cutting? Amiwrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you make slices into the stem and remove the outer layer as you would with a more woody plant or just make a cut for the callus tissue to form from? Very interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat! I've never done any air-layering I just grab the knife and chop vines.

Have you ever done any straight up single node cuttings on N. hamata vines without air-layering? When I did mine I used rootone powder and had a terrible success rate, I'd always used a Superthrive soak or just soak in plain distilled water and had 90%+ successes but since I did all my hamata cuttings with rootone (about 4 feet worth) I didn't know if they were necessarily more finicky than any other Neps for rooting cuttings or if it was the rootone to blame. Most of my other cuttings that year were done with rootone and did not do as well as previous years (plants I'd propagated fine before) so I was blaming the rootone. But if you guys are air layering perhaps they are harder to just cut and root than any others?

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now thats interesting... Im assuming the roots are encouraged out of a node on the vine which is then cut off after the roots have formed? Very interesting, to say the least. Congrats!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Interesting... Never heard of this technique. What exactly is it?
    There is a thread on the technique - basically slice the stem, insert piece of LFS, wrap with LFS, seal up w/ plastic wrap (there are more details but see article for them). This was my 1st hamata cutting so I preferred a method that wasn't all or nothing. This cutting developed roots after ~5 months.

I also did a jamban around the same time but it aborted the main stem and sprouted a basal. I didn't notice this since the aborted part of the stem was hidden from view. When I finally noticed, I cut the vine into two pieces & stuck them in LFS. One quickly died & the other has stayed green and just recently started to unfurl a leaf.

Due to space issues, I've taken cuttings for the remaining vining parts of aristo (3-4) & hamata (3-4). In a small tank, if you wait until the plant starts to vine to start an air-layer (pretty-much the only time there is enough space between nodes), then the vine is out of control by the time roots have developed... Other than that, I very much like the technique and used it frequently with houseplants many years ago (rubber plants, Dieffenbachia, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Have you ever done any straight up single node cuttings on N. hamata vines without air-layering?
    The ones I just did were all multi-node. Some are in water & some in live LFS. Based on the ICPS tutorial, I also kept one node at or below the surface of the media in case the plant needs to send up a basal at some point in the future.
    Last edited by RL7836; 06-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh wow, far out!
    I had no idea what this air layering jazz was until you shared that link Ron.
    This is a super cool concept I'm really excited to work with.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow very cool! It seems safer then rooting cuttings since theres still nutrients fling from the mother plant. I look forward to testing this technique! Certainly more space-saving then regular rooting!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast