Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me everything you know about Nepenthes "Miranda"

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkor View Post
    Thanks! Anyone remember when Deroose started releasing these plants? They must have had it in development before then. And now I'm beginning to wonder if they intentionally induced polyploidy for some reason, if that's the case.
    Many commercially produced orchids for the "pot plant" trade,( home depot, lowes and large chain garden centers), are intentionally polyploidy because they grow much faster and usually larger than diploids will. This essential when a grower is running a tight clone to market operation to increase their profit margins. Those plants are normally sterile being either 3n or 5N.
    Having checked out the link you provided to Deroose I feel fairly confident that the same reasoning can be applied to their plants. They also have operations in China. Taiwan is home to some of the world's largest commercial orchid factories. They also have some of the best breeding stock and the knowledge to use it. To me, at least, it is not a far leap to try and apply this to neps, another plant being found more and more in the large chain stores.
    Last edited by chibae; 06-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible that ellison's batch of Miranda are a remake explaining why they aren't sterile.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's the easiest Nepenthes I grow.
    It survived freezing, not being watered for days on end during the peak summer months, and still it manages to elude certain death under my "care". It also made 3 new growth points for me this month, and continues to pitcher.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think mine are remakes since I got two or the three at walmart..... I currently have kampotiana x Miranda seedlings. I will try to post some pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    It's possible that ellison's batch of Miranda are a remake explaining why they aren't sterile.
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. miranda is my first Nepenthes and my favorite 'common' variety that doesn't need a special setup. It's incredibly hardy for a tropical plant and mine does quite well outdoors here in Texas. I have it growing next to some succulents.

This one finally finished acclimating and has shot out some nice pitchers.

Last edited by Roman Tyrant; 06-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12