User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help with Nep identification and care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused. What should I be feeling for?

I think you are right. Looking through google images, it does bear a strong resemblance to an N. Alata. Oh well, it's still new for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be feeling for a fuzzy surface and underside of leaves. That's characteristic of N. alata.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    You should be feeling for a fuzzy surface and underside of leaves. That's characteristic of N. alata.
    There's actually many different forms of alata, some with lost documentation destroyed in WWI I believe. I was told there are some forms with such little hair its hard to tell, and other forms with a lot of hair. So to be N. alata, it doesn't need to have a bunch of hair on it. It kinda look alataish to me, that was my initial thought, but for some reason, I'm getting this feel that it's not pure N. alata. Its similar to my N. alata spotted, but I can't exactly tell what is off about it. The peristome looks very alataish, the shape kinda looks half alataish and half something else, and the lid looks to round and small to be N. alata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well when new pitchers begin to emerge, I'll post updated images. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    There's actually many different forms of alata, some with lost documentation destroyed in WWI I believe. I was told there are some forms with such little hair its hard to tell, and other forms with a lot of hair. So to be N. alata, it doesn't need to have a bunch of hair on it. It kinda look alataish to me, that was my initial thought, but for some reason, I'm getting this feel that it's not pure N. alata. Its similar to my N. alata spotted, but I can't exactly tell what is off about it. The peristome looks very alataish, the shape kinda looks half alataish and half something else, and the lid looks to round and small to be N. alata.
    Like you said, N. alata is a highly variable species. Thanks for bringing up the lid! Another key characteristic of N. alata is the keel at the bottom of the lid right before it joins the peristome. Some alatas have a more elongated body than others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12