User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with Nep identification and care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some help with Nep identification and care.

I recently completed a trade for my third Nepenthes and I'm pretty happy with what I received. I believe it is a N. ventricosa x maxima. So I have a few questions. Is there a proper name for this hybrid? I'm thinking it's N. Red Leopard.

How should I treat this plant? Intermediate, lowlander, or highlander?

Will it do well in the same outdoor conditions that my N. Miranda and N. Ventrata have been thriving in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The previous owner didn't have an ID for it? It doesn't look like N. ventricosa x maxima to me.

N. Red Leopard is a specific clone from the cross N. ventricosa x maxima. There are N. Red Leopards out there and various plants of N. ventricosa x maxima that are from the same cross but these are NOT N. Red Leopard.

I would guestimate that it's an intermediate/highland plant. So if your N. ventrata is happy it should be happy too. The plant is showing some moisture stress though so I would keep an eye on it until it settles in.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what he said it was so I was just going by that. I'm new to Nepenthes so I really have no idea how to identify it.

I haven't placed it outside yet since temperatures are well into the 90s, although it might benefit from the high humidity. I'm letting acclimate on a sunny windowsill for a few weeks.

I think it got stressed a bit because the plastic bag it was packaged in was slightly open. Should I fill the plastic tray with some water or place a plastic dome over it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let others address your questions, I just wanted to say that I like the mottling on the pitcher. Very pretty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously doubt that is N. Red Leopard, but its a bit early to tell, what with that pitcher recently opened. Red Leopard hasn't got that much of a waistline, and not that kind of peristome, and.....well, let me show you N. Red Leopard:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2012/05/red-leopard04a.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like N. alata to me. Notice how thin the base of the petioles are. Are the undersides of the leaf pubescent? Does the pitcher have hairs on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be an N. alata but it doesn't have the pronounced wings. I don't see any hairs on any part of the pitcher.

What are pubescent leaves?

Does anyone have advice for helping the plant transition:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman Tyrant View Post
    I think it got stressed a bit because the plastic bag it was packaged in was slightly open. Should I fill the plastic tray with some water or place a plastic dome over it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to feel the pitcher. The pitcher looks like an upper/intermediate, so the alas are going to be reduced. It looks very similar to some N. alata uppers I have seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast