Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fungicide for root rot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevnep View Post
    Those fungicides are usa exclusive so info of them is useless to me i just want to know about fungicides with captan as the active ingredient and neither have it as an active ingredient
    You don't have to get pissy, pal . . .

I was unaware that Physan and Zyban were not available in South Africa. Since there are many Nepenthes growers there, judging from the seed I have received over the years; check out what they've been using . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many have had root rot and thus dont know what is effective

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be confusing it with Phyton. If there is no copper in it, it should be ok. Search on YouTube for a video "Safe Fungicides for Carnivorous Plants". Since it is by another CP Vendor and displays their website name prominently I won't like to it here.

Yes, some fungicides/insecticides are not available in other parts of the world due to licensing, bans, etc.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevnep, this is slightly off topic but I have to mention something along with your quest to find out the 'perfect' fungicide for root rot...

Quote Originally Posted by kevnep View Post
    Not many have had root rot and thus dont know what is effective
    I have killed dozens of nepenthes during my second year of growing Nepenthes due to root rot, whether it be from over watering or as what you have said, fungus attack on the roots. I have never used fungicides due to a few reasons:-
    a) they're chemically dangerous to plants and humans alike (you never know what they could do in long term)
    b) need lots of research etc. to find the correct fungicide with the right chemical ingredients
    c) some brands are just plain hard to get here (Malaysia) but I don't know about you over there

I have come down with one conclusion:- If the roots are unhealthy and poor, root rot will definitely occur even if you treat it with fungicide or other methods. So my advice here is, better change your media for your plants or make sure your growing conditions for the particular plant is proper. I remember you mentioned in the other forum that your watering schedule and system is not the issue but what about other conditions? And the plants affected are the recent ones from EP, if my memory serves correctly, right? Plants are sensitive when acclimatizing to any different environmental changes, so check on other factors too eg. humidity, temp. There is no point if you treat your neps with a fungicide and kill off the fungus only to have it attack again due to the poor, unhealthy root system.

That being said, I would like to hear other member's opinions regarding fungicide contents and their effectiveness. Please do note, this is JUST my opinion and my friendly advice to you as a grower who has encountered root rot before. Good luck!
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you and it is valueble to me. Untill recently i have had low humidity but i have corrected that with a hydrofogger but its making my entire greenhouse very wet so i have completely stopped watering. Yes the fungus did only attack one specific ep order but there were a few before it that had no problems, i suspect that the plants were contaminated with fungus during the inspection on our side. The reason i want to use fungicide is that because of the hydrofogger the plants surrounding it have their media get we very often thus i want to strike first just in case. This may be unnecissary but im worried. The media is pure coconut husk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is a problem with your hydrofogger making the soil too wet, then fungicide isn't the answer; you need to re-engineer your grow space and the technology you are using! Only stressed/unhealthy plants suffer from problems like root rot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fogger is recent it didnt cause the root rot but you have a point and im trying to do so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've used Captan with Neps and seen no ill effects. The stuff I use is in powder form and about 50% Captan. I use about 5 to 10 level teaspoons to a gallon of water, or about 25 to 50 grams to about 2.8 liters. To be clear, just so you know, I have only used it on seedlings and never adults.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast