Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut Back or Throw Out?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut Back or Throw Out?

My N. densiflora x spectabilis had all these little white things all over it, so I pulled a bunch of the leaves off and wiped the whole thing down with alcohol because the white things were in between the node and the leaf too. After a bit, the leaves turned yellow, the brown and died. The newest leaf is extremely flimsy and is turning black. The growth tip I'm not even sure if it is alive...

If I were to cut this guy back, how would I do so? Where would I cut it? As far up the stem, or as far down the stem, as possible? I probably won't do so until I make my next trip to the nep store and pick up some neps. I'll need the space that the pot is taking up and I'll need the sphagnum growing in the pot as well to put around a healthy nep.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got any pics of the bugs? If it was a mealy infestation, you've gotta repot the plant too, but sometimes that still isn't even enough and throwing the plant out is the safest option. Since that's a pretty nice hybrid, perhaps you should just completely remove it from your other plants and put it in quarantine for a few months, spraying it monthly with imidacloprid or some other pesticide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would not get any new plants for a while till your shore these pests did not spread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    Got any pics of the bugs? If it was a mealy infestation, you've gotta repot the plant too, but sometimes that still isn't even enough and throwing the plant out is the safest option. Since that's a pretty nice hybrid, perhaps you should just completely remove it from your other plants and put it in quarantine for a few months, spraying it monthly with imidacloprid or some other pesticide.
    I had another thread about it if you remember... Probably was mealies. The plant was in a terrarium touching all the others for like 5 months. None of the others have it, and it hasn't came back on the densi x spec ever since I wiped it with alcohol. I'm not even sure if it will come back. Its like 100% wilted and turning black.

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEY View Post
    i would not get any new plants for a while till your shore these pests did not spread
    I know it hasn't spread... Its been with all of the others touching them for over the five months that I've had the plant. Can I reuse the sphagnum? After how long can I safely reuse it once removed from the pot?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't take it for granted that you can't see them on the other plants. For all you know they're already in the soil, feeding on the roots, or just reproducing. All the plants in that terrarium should be treated and probably repotted, in my opinion. It's up to you, though. If you think they're safe, you can take the risk.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had mealy bug infestation but do know how they look like. Picture is worth a thousand words. Before accepting suggestion for treatment you should definitely post a pic for local pest experts to determine what is the problem.

I dunno about others but I'd never reuse any soil that was potentially contaminated with some pests. Mealy bugs (if indeed that is what you have) also infest root areas so you might not know it but have a zoo underground.

Treatment-wise after determining that it is mealy bugs... systemic insecticide? Imidacloprid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even sure if its mealys... There were little white dots all over the plant. They weren't bugs because they didn't move.

Back on topic... if I cut it back, how long would it take to resprout, knowing that it is in an unhealthy state?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mealy bugs move veeeeeeeery slowly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast