Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: **need help** with mirabilis var echinostoma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright new daytime temp is 89f and humidity is 83% that's the best i can do easily atm.......I have also noticed an error I was making as well.....i believe this plant to be much more thirsty than the smaller ones.

this plant has about 100x more roots than the smaller ones and it is physically bigger so it stands to reason it probably needs to be watered more frequently.....I have bumped it up to once a day. I'm kinda leaning on that to be the major underlying cause of my problems but probably wouldn't have thought of it until it was worse off without the help.

thanx peeps. ill stick to this new routine and see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was either the under watering or the temp but it is coming back already! not back to normal but if a 1.5 inch circle was drawn around the center of the stem; you can see the leaves have stiffened up and perhaps a 2 inch circle for the smaller leaves on the bottom......i hope that the improvement will radiate outwards.

I can't say for sure whether it was the heat or my lack of watering but idc as long as it is getting better.

thanx for helping me catch this early to ease the rebound time.....I should have a new pic tomorrow night to compare with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...I thought I recognised that plant. lol

It's most likely a matter of the fans, water, and light. This one came from a fairly lower light setup than you use, and was kept in stagnant air...so it is not used to that much airflow and light. It was also kept in temps never exceeding 95F, and was kept in a shallow tray of water.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never got around to asking you what the light output of your setup was...u think i should try using a clear plastic lid or something to diffuse the light a little? i know airflow isn't really a lowlander requirement but it seems to help with the small terrarium as far as keeping algae at bay and probably preventing fungus and mold.

I'm hoping in about 4-7 days that this fussy thing will start to get settled in.

i think the biggest deal was i wasn't watering it enough....I have 2 other lowlanders about 1/3 the size that only require water once every 3 days and this one seems to need it once a day.

but to me it seems the plant is making a very fast recovery vs the pic of just 2 days ago.
    Last edited by cpbobby; 06-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got this pesky one nailed....in addition to being nearly 3 times as thirsty as the other 2 both underground and above ground; it isn't the heat that it dislikes but the light. I moved my fixture approx 4 inches further away and the plant responded positively within a day. The raffesania didn't seem to be bothered but the bical got a little upset about it....not enough where it pouted like the mirabilis but it's growth slowed a tad...i may look into dropping the light and adding a diffuser to go over the mirabilis so all my plants can be happy.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I've had this happen with mirablis seedlings that I've raised from seed. You can always put a plastic baggy over the plant to decrease light a little bit.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spacing between the leaves and the big thin floppy growth indicate it was in low light for a long time. It would be expected to respond negatively to higher light levels than it had received. This doesn't mean you should perpetuate the situation and instead once acclimated, increase light levels to where they should be for optimal future growth.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for the advice. I was considering that. I was thinking once the plant was visibly healthier to remove the diffuser; however you beat me to the punch on that q.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast