Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf-V

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf-V

On my N. spathulata x (spathulata x boschiana), the newest leaf that opened up is curled up on both sides, making a v-shape. Its a very large plant, maybe 18" across and 6" tall. When the leaf had just opened up, I added some live sphag to dress around the top of the pot and I accidentally knocked the entire tendril clean off. Kinda surprised me, but understandable. I don't think it is diseased. None of the other plants do this and this guys looks rather healthy.

Also, no pitchers will form on it. Not sure why... Not sure if they just take a long time or what. It has two tendrils on it that never formed pitchers. All of my other highlanders, intermediates, my one lowlander and one ultrahighlander are fine, forming pitchers, growing fast. This guy seems a bit slow to put out new leaves. VERY SLOW.

Temperatures vary in my greenhouse. On days 70F-90F (95% of the time), it stays about 75-85F in the greenhouse during the day with 60% humidity at lowest during the day. Always 50-60F at night with 90% humidity... always.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ideas? Nobody knows what would cause this strange leaf shaped?

Both sides of the leaf are curved upwards making a v... all of the other leafs are pretty much flat...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats strange. . . I've never seen anything happen like this before but since you did knock off the tendril not too long ago then I would wait and see what happens. . . maybe some things weren't allowed to form inside the leaf after it snapped such as muscular cells to hold the leaf flat because they may have been needed to heal the broken tendril. Once again I'd wait and see what happens for that.

Don't worry about the tendrils not forming. . . my spathulata usually never forms any tendrils when it makes big leaves and when it vines no tendrils form at all (it just makes long vines). Still, I have the female form of spathulata that likes to flower a lot so that may be where the pitcher energy is going. Once again I'd wait and see what happens. If nothing happens in about a month then you can always try bagging one of the tendrils to see if that will make a pitcher form. Hope this helps!

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Thats strange. . . I've never seen anything happen like this before but since you did knock off the tendril not too long ago then I would wait and see what happens. . . maybe some things weren't allowed to form inside the leaf after it snapped such as muscular cells to hold the leaf flat because they may have been needed to heal the broken tendril. Once again I'd wait and see what happens for that.

Don't worry about the tendrils not forming. . . my spathulata usually never forms any tendrils when it makes big leaves and when it vines no tendrils form at all (it just makes long vines). Still, I have the female form of spathulata that likes to flower a lot so that may be where the pitcher energy is going. Once again I'd wait and see what happens. If nothing happens in about a month then you can always try bagging one of the tendrils to see if that will make a pitcher form. Hope this helps!
    Thanks! I had never heard of anything happening like it either which is why I was worried. I'll see how the next leaf is when it opens up in like seven months from now. It had two pitchers on it when I got it and they're super big, which is why I enjoy them. They're like 12" tall almost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No photo = no diagnosis. Always include a photo, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to worry about that. . . my big plants tend to do that all the time and it never has affected them in any way (N. X miranda. . . etc). I've never even noticed it until now after seeing your picture lol! When did you get the plant? It's probably still adapting if it doesn't have any pitchers yet which is fine.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    No need to worry about that. . . my big plants tend to do that all the time and it never has affected them in any way (N. X miranda. . . etc). I've never even noticed it until now after seeing your picture lol! When did you get the plant? It's probably still adapting if it doesn't have any pitchers yet which is fine.
    I got it back in April. Probably still adjusting, didn't think about that. I just don't see why the leaf is curled like that when all of my other neps have never had that when "adjusting"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast