User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much energy do nepenthes dedicate to making pitchers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no sense in stressing out your plant in that fashion, you will not make it grow any faster than if you grew it proper temps and humidity with twice weekly soil flushings, orchid fertilizer flushed through the soil every 2 weeks and bright lighting. It is more stressful for the plant to have it's pitchers (or leaves) removed needlessly if they are healthy and able to do their job.

And you are indeed wrong a plant will use all the resources available to it, the more light, water and food it gets the faster it will grow, the main impediment for Nepenthes growth is people's reluctance / fear to fertilize them properly.

Now comparing using a western facing window to 10,000 lumens of T5HO is no comparison. I have a western facing window and it's quite useless for growing plants, too dark for most of the day and too hot as the sun sets. A terrarium would probably become a little veggie steamer because sunlight heats up as it passes through glass (go sit in a sealed up car on a summer day for a few minutes). So keep using the T5HOs add more T5s if you want more light.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants need nitrogen and other nutrients to grow. Carnivorous plants get most these nutrients from prey. You give them prey (or fertilizers) the same reason you fertilize other plants - for their overall growth. If they didn't need the traps they wouldn't grow them.

If you cut the pitcher off you'll have to root fertilize them for best growth. Why even have a Carnivorous Plant if you're going to do that?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let all of my Neps pitcher. My N. naga seedling is growing rather quickly without any pruning and making huge jumps in leaf and pitcher size. It's best to utilize the pitchers by spraying a diluted orchid fertilizer in them. Pruning live pitchers stresses the plants, so you might as well put them to work. Any dead bugs I find in my apartment end up going into a pitcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i read that article and it seems the pitchers are cheaper to build as well since they are non-photosynthetic...based on all the info it seems that pruning the traps to a smaller number will yield no benefit. thanx peeps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pitchers provide some of the nutrients the plant needs to grow. If you're cutting off the pitcher, you may be taking away some work for the plant, but you are also removing the rewards the plant gets for creating a pitcher. If you're worried about their growth, give them some ferts!
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i give them highly diluted 30-10-10 lightly sprayed on the leaves twice a month. any other suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12