Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help LL nepenthes is in a coma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update:

I guess that one leaf was a "transitionary leaf" or something. I do not think it will ever uncurl. The first new leaf on my watch is pretty much done. It looks different than it's predecessors. It is shorter, skinnier, greener and fuzzier as I have observed tiny water droplets adhering to it and revealing the tiny hairs. I didn't think to check thickness and consistency. Not sure if this is a result of an adaptation to it's new home; I am giving it quite a bit more light, tiny bit more heat and quite a bit more humidity....watering schedule seems to be indistinguishable from it's previous home. Or it could be the plant's attempt to just rush something out to aid in it's ongoing recovery. It will be interesting to see if the pitcher on the end will be properly formed or not. Thoughts?

The plant's rate of growth seems to have steadied out for the moment. In my limited experience it seems acceptable for a lowlander but maybe on the low end for a mirabilis. I still hold out hope that once the plant's immune system gets better and it produces a couple more leaves that it's rate of growth will return to normal. Either way I am optimistic about this plant's future at this juncture.

Last edited by cpbobby; 08-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update:

plant is doing well other than a few pest. rate of growth has started to vastly increase to almost a tick-tock cycle in regards to how fast it spits out new leaves. The new leaves are smaller, greener and closer together than the older ones; not sure why that is. If all goes well I anticipate there only being one update left. thx for the troubleshooting advice everyone.
    Last edited by cpbobby; 09-07-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpbobby View Post
    update:
    The new leaves are smaller, greener and closer together than the older ones; not sure why that is..
    Although I don't grow lowlanders, I do grow a lot of Nepenthes, and "smaller, greener and closer together" isn't something you like to see: it usually spells trouble, especially if it is a continuing trend. I suggest you post your growing conditions for review and ask another lowland grower to advise you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if it is the case here but I was assuming it was a good thing but my experience is limited so I didn't put it out there. Article I read suggest it is an adjustment to more intense light which makes sense since I am giving them their first taste of diffused sunlight in addition to the florescents. Perhaps I may decrease the florescent photoperiod to "ease them in" a little easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12