Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help LL nepenthes is in a coma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help LL nepenthes is in a coma

I bought this mirabilis var echinostoma and in addition to different conditions I transplant shocked it due to repotting it after 10 days due to thrips......It has been nearly a month since then and while it isn't declining; it isn't growing either. I think maybe it has added 1/10 of an inch to it's new leaf in a month. I read that a mirabilis is one of the fastest growing species there is. I know it isn't my conditions bc there is noticeable, daily growth from my raffesania and bicalcarata. Both of them grow like mutants.

I don't think it is dying or it would have tightened up and died already I would assume. Any idea when it plans to start building again? or snap out of it's coma?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without a picture, all I have to offer is that this might just be what you get for getting bugs and then replanting. Sometimes they just sit for a while. I had a burbidgeae x edwardsiana that did nothing - literally nothing - for a good 9 months. No growth at all. So the fact that it's even growing at all is a good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be patient. I just repotted mine and it stopped growing. Like Thez says just be patient, my plant seems to grow in spurts, like it'll go a month or two with nothing happening and then all of a sudden it'll put out like 3 leaves all with pitchers then stop again. so yea just wait it out.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess it isn't dying; what do you think?

ill post a pic but it isn't pretty:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

it has awakened!

there has been noticeable growth over the last 2 days and it seems to be developing well...not quite up to the pace of the bical and nowhere near the pace of the raffesania but I suspect it is just getting warmed up. I think the real test will be once it unfurls a couple new leaves that are not damaged.

First I will have a visual indication of the plant's overall condition once the new leaves unfurl.

Second I suspect that since it has decided to do something that it has finally accepted the new conditions.

Third I suspect that with a couple new, healthy leaves that hopefully it's metabolism will kick back into crazy so this little beastie will finally claim it's heritage as a mirabilis and show me some real growth....with expectation of passing the bical and perhaps the raffesania.

Fourth I really hope that this new growth is in fact a new leaf and not a flower. I don't need no stinking flowers!

I will post a pic soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. mirabilis in a wee terrarium.....you better hope (and pray) that it doesn't actually achieve its maximum growth rate! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL indeed. eh ill just build a bigger one. I suspect the raffesania will need it before the others; it's rate of growth is fairly exponential. I plan to build a temporary grow chamber in about 30 days; I may maintain the terrarium for either baby nepenthes or perhaps I will transfer my sundews into it. Cross that bridge when I get there. Maximum growth? Doubt it....probably needs to be in the jungle to do that I imagine(probably needs more healthy leaves too). I have the room to accommodate additional infrastructure but really want to get a feel for what works and what doesn't before filling a hothouse up with lowlanders. 3-5 nepenthes to maintain...not too bad....20+ to maintain....little more work especially when one has only been growing for a couple months.

Last edited by cpbobby; 07-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: it's rate of growth seems to be increasing since that new leaf is emerging from the leaf it is working on MUCH sooner than the leaf before it....not quite to the level of the other 2 plants I have but still 10x better than it was....seems to be in official recovery and I think it will be back to normal after making 2-3 new leaves. Also appears that this leaf it is making will bear me my first pitcher on this plant as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast