Thread: Weird Pest problem

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird Pest problem

Hello Everyone.
    Recently I saw weird bite marks on one of my highland Nepenthes. I am horrible when it comes to IDing pests so I thought I'd ask what y'all think of this. The plant has been quarantined, but I'm still very worried. About a month ago I saw the same symptoms on my lowland Nepenthes but I was unable to find out what it was. I sprayed the lowlanders with 50/50 water alcohol to rid of whatever it was which seemed to work until they came back about a month later. Maybe a second generation of pests was able to mature? Does anyone have an idea as to what these are and how I could eliminate them? At first I thought it was mites, but I have not seen any when I tap the leaves onto a paper slit. They appear to spread like wildfire and I don't want to take any chances of them getting to the rest of my highland plants. The symptoms are as so: strange bite marks in the new leaves of the plants which look like worts/pimples from the upper sides of the leaves, deformed pitchers and pale leaves that are curled up abnormally when opening.

Here are some pictures of the infected plant:

The upper side of the bite marks which have formed like worts.

Photobucket

Underside where the bite marks appear to have been bitten
    Photobucket

Paleness of the newest leaf
    Photobucket

Any ideas to what it is and how I could treat it? I have not seen any webs so I can confirm that these aren't spider mites.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhh... to me, that just looks like glands like on glandulifera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look like nectar glands to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? These specific bite marks weren't there last night and the lowlanders I've seen with them have gone into horrible shape. Even several growing tips died because of this. If they are nectar glands, then I've never seen anything like them ever since I started growing Nepenthes. I'd also think that these would be way too big to be glands when seen on a small bicalarata.
    Last edited by lance; 07-28-2012 at 11:43 AM.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry..but if that was on one of my orchids I'd be thinking disease/virus not pest
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the newest, unfurled leaf on the plant and see if there are any bumps protruding from it, similar to those. If so, you may have thrips.

But as others have said, probably just glands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I checked the newest leaf which just unfurled about a day ago and there were bumps. So, how can I get rid of these thrips? Sorry that I don't know this already, I have been pest free with my Nepenthes up until now.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thrips aren't necessarily difficult to spot, so you will likely see them trying to hide in crevices if they're there. What I meant by the newest leaf, though, is that you should see if the unfurled growth point has bumps all over it. This is usually a tell-tale sign that they're about to have a population explosion.

That being said, your description isn't enough to go on to say that you definitely have thrips, but if you want to treat them, an insecticide with imidacloprid as the active ingredient will wipe them out. Bayer Rose & Flower is the product most people, including myself, use. Just remember that you will also be killing any beneficial predatory insects that have established themselves on or around your plants if you do decide to use it, which has been known to lead to spider mite infestations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast