What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about media saturation level and root rot

I trusted someone else to water my Lowland neps when I was gone and they gave them wayyyy too much water. There was actual standing water in the bottom of the pot...about 2 inches. It was only saturated for about 24 hours. I removed as much excess as I could but the media is still pretty wet. It is a granted I am not going to water the plants to let them drink the excess water, I also increases the duration for me evacuation fan but can't go too much without causing a humidity drop in the terrarium.

I am returning home in a few. I am contemplating digging a small hole into the media and inserting a piece of dry sponge to try to absorb some of the excess moisture from the media. Will this be effective at all?

so in reaction I am:

increasing evac fan duration
not watering plants
inserting dry sponge into media

also given the short amount of time the plants were exposed, I do not anticipate them being affected at all and do not think the duration of saturation is enough to cause root rot. Is this accurate?

thoughts?

if the standing water was only there for 24 hours and we talkin LL neps, it shouldnt bother them at all. just make sure all standing water is removed and dont water until the media gets a tad dry. should be fine!

Don't sweat it. Remember, in the wild there will be more than 24 hour periods where they get lots of rain.

Yeah, no need to go overboard, just don't water for a while.

k that's what I was thinking....the plants look undisturbed. thx. i.e. still growing like weeds.

Back