Help! pharaoh ants on windowsill!
So for two weeks I've been battling pharaoh ants in the house. Now there is an infestation in the whole house. Today when I got back home I saw what appears to be a nest on my nepenthes!!!! Terminator is coming tomorrow to bait the house and this is an over 6 month treatment. I DO not want to transplant my plants but since the ants are going to be poisoned slowly to kill the colonies, should I cut the pitchers of the plants so sick ants won't fall into the pitchers?! the thought of it makes me sick. I need advise sorry for rambling.
Last edited by Favian; 08-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.
And here I am wishing I had more colonies at home !
I don't know about you but my nepenthes eat lots of ants. They are easily attracted to the nectar forming on and around pitchers, so there are literally dozens of them trapped in every pitcher of many species. I find them to be the best food source in the summer as it's steady and they are easy prey.
I wouldn't harm them but that's only my opinion of course.
Thank you for replying Maxima,
Originally Posted by maxima
I know its beneficial for the plants. I wouldn't of cared if it wasn't that I keep my plants in my room lol. I just didn't know since the ants are going to be killed by Bait on a course of few months that if ants that have ate the bait fall on the pitchers would caused harms to the plants.
Pharaoh ants are exterminated by feeding them organic mush laced with boric acid. Even an ant that has gorged itself on the acid-laced food will contain only a trace quantity, as they are so small. Boric acid is even found naturally in some volcanic rock and, surprisingly, many plants. The chances that your plants would be harmed by dining on even a small army of "poisoned" pharaoh ants is extremely slim. My advice would be to let them feast.
Safety Shears you've made me sleep at night now!!!! LOL thank you for great information. I had no idea about the boric acid. I shall let them eat away
Originally Posted by Safety Shears
Terro ant killer, get the liquid in the clear bottle. Syrup with boric acid mixed in. Great stuff.
Thanks for the great tip
Originally Posted by Rocketcaver