Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bical... any tips?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen pics online of a plant with a 6 foot leaf span under dense tree cover.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen pics online of a plant with a 6 foot leaf span under dense tree cover.

Also seen pics of a plant growing out of waterin a swampy area. Very large plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my limited experience, I have found N. bicalcarata to be one of the most enthusiastic root growers I have ever grown. If you have the above ground plant matched to the pot, with the leaf span just inside the rim, you can expect the roots to get potbound very soon, with just as many more hanging outside. Not that that will stop the plant at all! I agree with the "hot & humid", too. I've heard that before, read it in books, and seen it personally at a hugemongous hothouse. The hotter it was every time I visited, the bidder the plant was.

I just got another one. I will second this other bit of advice: DON'T let it get dry! That's how I lost the first one.

If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    In my limited experience, I have found N. bicalcarata to be one of the most enthusiastic root growers I have ever grown. If you have the above ground plant matched to the pot, with the leaf span just inside the rim, you can expect the roots to get potbound very soon, with just as many more hanging outside. Not that that will stop the plant at all!
    hmm sounds like a good rule of thumb...approximately how long would you say someone has after the leaves start to reach the rim of the pot it is in before re-potting becomes a necessity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick for me is to OVERPOT. plant your bical in a much larger pot than it's root system. I use long fibered sphagnum as media. They will fill in quickly and you will see a big jump in leaf size.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thanks again guys i am learning a lot from this.
    JB orchid guy are you sure you saw a plant with a SIX foot leaf span? thats a MASSIVE plant- longer than an average sized human!
    so guys what do you think about growing the plant in a growroom under four t12 tubes with a constant temp of 85 and a 85 percent humidity?
    thanks
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not my bical but to give you an idea(not even giant form ) :

mine is just an infant(it is larger but didn't feel like uploading) :

it will take longer than 2 months for it to get big enough for cutting....also i wouldn't go overboard on the water. Will run the risk of root rot.

also a little more info: http://www.sunbelleexotics.com/Sunbe..._Neps_Grow.htm

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a while ago and that was what the person taking the pics said the leafspan was if I remember correctly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12