User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fingers crossed for my N. villosa!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? don't give up man. maybe there is some salvageable material there. all you need for a cutting is one or two nodes. they can't all be dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nooooooo!!! Oh god that is awful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was so sorry to hear of that plant's decline and had seen photos of it for years on the CPUK site. There were no salvageable cuttings at all?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It declined that quickly? I would have held onto it and given up when it looked like beef jerky. Then again, it must be very difficult to watch a plant that you have cared for all these years decline like that and feel helpless. Sorry for your loss...

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear about that Are you sure it is a goner? Unless the rot spread to all the growth nodes, then there is still a chance of recovering it as a cutting.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    damn......that was quite an investment......my hat is off to you. how about TC? doesn't require the amount of genetic material to get going that a cutting does....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyones kind words. I fear that the whole of the plant is infected with black veining and rot running throughout the plant. I have found this with Neps before where they can be very slow in dieing and even fool you into thinking the plant is ok or has pulled through. But the infection is spreading through the plant and finally it reaches a tipping point and the whole plant collapses in what seems a very short time. Its always an impossible decision as to when to cut a plant up. Now I wish I had done so in October- though its hard to tell whether villosa is one of those neps that takes to rooting or not. But better to try when the plant is as healthy as possible. Even in August the stem was starting to wrinkle (not black at that point) and the top leaf was curled. But as the next leaf was ok and after repotting the growing point started to emerge and grow I had hoped all might be well.

I think the roots must have been rotting longer than I thought- though the original compost was still nice and open and had not broken down as LFS sometimes can. And I did tend to keep it along with my other neps on the drier but not dry side. I still think there is "luck" when growing perhaps difficult plants and they do well. And my luck had run out!!

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry this happened.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast