Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tips for intermediate nepenthes care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far my conditions are as follows:

inside terrarium with water base but no lid in front of east facing window for morning sun and 65 or so percent humidity and 72F. If I am around; they go outside for about 4 hours of direct sun on a railing. humidity is about 40 or so percent with temps around 80F. Evening they go back into the terrarium with the lid on for about 75 or so percent humidity and about 68F.....if they don't get put outside for midday then I will give em about 5k lumens from a compact florescent for about 4-5 hours.

probably not ideal I am sure but hopefully enough to keep them going until they get placed.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. like just leave them in the terrarium for morning sun and not put them out midday for more constant conditions...they were previously sunlight grown so no degradation from UV exposure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess now I would like to know what intermediates do you have because that might make the difference but generally speaking...I would be happy with those conditions, although I would be a little worried what might the conditions be like in Fall/Winter and if I can keep them warm enough with good light. Personally, I would try to keep the temps. during the day always in the middle 70's to lower 80's with a drop in the 60's at night. Humidity above 50% always would be terrific if possible. All this while trying to give them as much sunlight as you can just short of burning them too bad is my motto That's how I would go about it but I shouldn't give advice....I can't grow intermediates

I remember Tony mentioning in an earlier thread that "consistency" is very important when growing Nepenthes' indoors on a windowsill.....that and strong light. With my experience so far I have to say that that is pretty much exactly correct.
    Last edited by N_CloudySkies; 09-11-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh gawd let me see if i can remember them:

effalgent kotto
    rhalessi
    emmerene
    maxima x alata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know maxima x alata would be happy for sure with your conditions.......not sure about the other ones. To be honest, I have no experience with any of the other varieties you listed but I am sure someone here with much more experience than I will chime in soon. I will say that your conditions seem good though so if they are not difficult varieties they should be alright I would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will be a learning experience....i prefer lowlanders but i may keep 1 of them for the practice. On a positive note I do like the color intensity and pitcher size on them. They seem to make much larger pitchers than my lowlanders considering the size of the plant....that and they can be outside of their terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep....they really come into there own as they mature, getting bigger and more colorful. That is, if they are kept happy but I personally find Highlanders the easiest of the Nepenthes to grow. My opinion ofcourse because you don't have to worry about temps getting a little bit on the cool side for whatever reason and you do not have to worry as much about water and keeping the soil wet. They are bit flexible in both regards as far as I can tell.

Good luck with them cpbobby and please post pics if you have them and the time to do so. I certainly would like to see them and I am sure others here on the forum would too. I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I would like to learn something myself from some of the more advance growers on the forum. Thanks for the post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12