Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sickly Judith Finn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low humidity is THE single most important aspect of Nepenthes culture for many species (and hybrids) in terms of getting regular, full-sized pitchers. Dry air = no pitchering. I have found a couple of my N. spathulata hybrids are very reluctant to pitcher, even under ideal conditions. (N. Judith Finn is a spathulata hybrid) For me, the N. spathulata X boschiana grex pitchers on only one in every three tendrils. I doubt that this reluctance has anything to do with my climate conditions, its just a genetic thing.

I don't (and won't) grow Judith Finn for this reason, and because I find it one of the least interesting of the spathulata hybrids.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Low humidity is THE single most important aspect of Nepenthes culture for many species (and hybrids) in terms of getting regular, full-sized pitchers. Dry air = no pitchering. I have found a couple of my N. spathulata hybrids are very reluctant to pitcher, even under ideal conditions. (N. Judith Finn is a spathulata hybrid) For me, the N. spathulata X boschiana grex pitchers on only one in every three tendrils. I doubt that this reluctance has anything to do with my climate conditions, its just a genetic thing.

I don't (and won't) grow Judith Finn for this reason, and because I find it one of the least interesting of the spathulata hybrids.
    We'll see how the swamp cooler does. After all, you recommended it and it was rather expensive, so it should be good. Hopefully that will get daytime humidity to 70% during the day and it is naturally about 90% at night.

You're right, it probably is one of the worst spathulata hybrids, but I really like it because I have nothing that is green and I love the dark peristome. I really like my spath x (spath x bosch) and it hasn't given me any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Judith Finn I got from Andrew has been pitchering like crazy pretty much since I got it several months ago. I guess it likes my grow rack conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i kept one for a couple years. it never put out a pitcher but it got HUGE! leaves nearly a foot long vine more than three feet long. it even flowered once- very large spike. i got tired of it and gave it to a friend that put put it out of its misery with poor conditions. i think this plant should be destroyed on sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pebes View Post
    i kept one for a couple years. it never put out a pitcher but it got HUGE! leaves nearly a foot long vine more than three feet long. it even flowered once- very large spike. i got tired of it and gave it to a friend that put put it out of its misery with poor conditions. i think this plant should be destroyed on sight.
    LOL that's so jank. It must have been genetically retarded.

If it doesn't pitcher after a few months with the new swamp cooler, I can take a lighter to it... Or just sell it on eBay as "RARE Pitcher Plant Hybrid LARGE" and price it at $15 plus $15 shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hate the plant so much for failing to adapt to your conditions, why not give it to someone just starting out who would appreciate it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen it prefers lowland conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketcaver View Post
    If you hate the plant so much for failing to adapt to your conditions, why not give it to someone just starting out who would appreciate it?
    Don't hate it, just kinda annoying at how crappily it is doing, and then I learn that it may never pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    From what I've seen it prefers lowland conditions.
    It will get intermediate nighttime temperatures and lowland daytime temperatures in the summer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast