Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian James's Plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say effortless, especially not where I'm living. Other parts of the island maybe, but not in the open, less than humid, extremely windy grasslands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo! Broke the 14" mark with this pitcher! - 'Teachers of Virtue' mislabeled grex probably an Alata x Truncata:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Do you grow N. Kona as well? It's the "correct" grex of alata truncata and mine looks very similar to your's in shape, although the body/ peristome is darker. Very nice Christian!
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East_to_west View Post
    Awesome! Do you grow N. Kona as well? It's the "correct" grex of alata truncata and mine looks very similar to your's in shape, although the body/ peristome is darker. Very nice Christian!
    Thanks!

No I don't grow 'Kona', would really love to though. (if anyone has a cutting of a nice dark one let me know) I've looked around Sam's nursery for any stragglers that he might not have sold, but no such luck. I think the Alata x Truncata hybrid is a far under appreciated cross. I would really love to see Lowii x (Alata x Truncata)! Come to think of it, there are a lot of species I would love to see crossed w it ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree! Lowii x kona would be sweet! My Kona is pretty large and has two growth points and it's currently working on a basal. I'd be happy to take a cutting a month or two down the line for you. I've never taken a cutting on a shorter-node species/hybrid like this though, I'm not sure if it would be difficult or not. I'm sure this plant would love your conditions!

There's a photo of the plant halfway down the page here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...k-setup/page10

Let me know if you'd be interested. I haven't really seen many other examples of this hybrid, but from the photos I have seen, this is one of the darker ones. Cheers Christian,

Greg
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Greg! that would be awesome! I tried to send a PM to you but your mailbox is full

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a similar plant from Sam labelled as alata x (veitchii xx tiveyi). Here are a few pics of the lowers, the uppers look almost identical to the one pictured above. I've just assumed it's alata x truncata or the reverse.

-Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambanja View Post
    I wouldn't say effortless, especially not where I'm living. Other parts of the island maybe, but not in the open, less than humid, extremely windy grasslands.
    Sure, but you still have better year round conditions than almost anywhere in the lower 48 states (without the need for a greenhouse!). Coastal southern California and south Florida might come close as well, depending on if you want to grow highlanders or lowlanders, but you have it pretty good. I've always been jealous of Hawaii growers. Your results speak for themselves! Awesome looking plants
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429