What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Causes This?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Nepenthes_ampullaria_Cantleys_Red.jpg

Tiny leaves, massive pitchers. I love the look. How do I get it? Are there certain varieties like that? Anyone know where they are for sale like this? ???

believe they're basal plants.

believe they're basal plants.

So what I have to do is grow a large vine and wait for basals? Are basals super common on amps? Do they all occur at ones? It appears that was in the pics...

I have only had this happen when I burried an older plant deeper in the pot than it was in it's old pot...so if the old woody stem gets partially buried, it is more likely to occour.

I grew a few cultivars of Nepenthes ampullaria for several years and that clustering is the result of basals. Eventually, all of them will produce that growth phase; but it often takes a few years; good cultivation; and the occasional pruning back of any vine . . .

I grew a few cultivars of Nepenthes ampullaria for several years and that clustering is the result of basals. Eventually, all of them will produce that growth phase; but it often takes a few years; good cultivation; and the occasional pruning back of any vine . . .

By "pruning back" do you mean making cuttings?

It takes time for Amps to turn out like that. You just gotta let them grow and eventually they'll make basals and start scrambling around on the floor. You'd expect them to vine but since Ampullarias are nearly detritivore which requires them to scramble on the ground so they catch and digest the leaves from the jungle above. Eventually they'll vine but that is rare and takes time as well. The largish pitchers you see will come as the plant gets older.

All ampularia can grow like this, not just one form. I agree with what others have said, in that it can just take time. My ampularia has a main vine that's just over a foot tall, but has formed several basal rosettes like this as well just around the base of the vine. So you can have two growth phases on the same plant.

Supposedly ampularia can also send out runners similar to Darlingtonia which will sprout new plantlets, and this can eventually fill the pot with this sort of growth (though I haven't seen this in my ampularia yet)

Awesome! I think ampullaria may be my favorite species of Nepenthes even though I'm not sure if I can grow it yet. :jester:

I'll post updates on how these do. If I don't get the growth I want in a month, I'll move them inside for six months.

Here are my amp and x hookeriana, both have basals.
_MG_4690.jpg

_MG_4689.jpg

_MG_4684.jpg

Here are my amp and x hookeriana, both have basals.

By any chance, would basals from either plant be up for trade? I have a Pasian truncata to offer and I'm specifically looking for amps or amp hybrids to trade.

Pineapple, what you are seeing in that picture is why I LOVE N. ampullaria. Love, love, love, love, love 'em. :water: :hug:

Mine are getting big, four are vining, and one has a leeeeetle basal. Hopefully it'll start filling the pot.

Back