Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @heli: the parents could have came from there. it would make sense to keep the location data if they both did. directly from tambuyukon? if so, seed was acquired very far back. nothing in the past 2 years that i know off, but then i dont follow edwardsiana news religiously. maybe you know more about this than i do. but my impression was that these were seed grown eddies that were made in cultivation from a breeding pair.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said in an email that they are tambuyukon locality seed raised. I kind of assumed that they were wild collected because there are almost no adult specimens, that being said I remember seeing a pic in a news article of an adult plant that he has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Oh, I was wondering about potting soil/compost. Live sphag + charcoal or ??
    In 2004, professional horticulturist Robert Sacilotto wrote a summary of measured tolerances of highland Nepenthes species, based on experiments conducted between 1996 and 2001. Out of all of the studied species, N. edwardsiana proved to be the most challenging. Cotyledon-stage seedlings showed a 100% mortality rate when exposed to the following conditions: relative humidity constantly over 90%, water droplets present on the leaves, soil conductivity over 45 microsiemens, and soil pH above 6. However, several plants grew well in a substrate consisting of 50% perlite, 30% Sphagnum moss, 10% peat moss chunks, and 10% fir bark. A top dressing of live Sphagnum was found to provide a good anchoring point for developing roots. Humidity levels of 65 to 85% appeared to be optimal, although more mature plants over 1 year old were able to tolerate exposure to relative humidity in the range of 90 to 99% for up to three days. The highest growth rate was exhibited by plants that experienced warm days, with temperatures of 21 to 29 C (70 to 84 F), and cool nights, with temperatures of 13 to 16 C (55 to 61 F). The seedlings grew very slowly during the first 8 months, but their growth rate increased significantly after they reached approximately 2 cm in diameter. The plants were grown under High Pressure Sodium lamps. Optimal light intensity seemed to be in the region of 7500-9100 lx (700-850 fc). Soil with a pH of 4.8 to 5.4 and conductivity of less than 24 microsiemens produced the best results. Dried fruit fly larvae of the species Drosophila melanogaster were fed to the plants once their pitchers reached around 3 mm in height. As the pitchers increased in size, they were fed with ants (Acanthomyops sp.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing Rob, he probably does have at least 2 adult N. edwardsiana specimens. He's very secretive, so no one will ever know exactly what he has.

I can't believe I'm getting one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's Rob with an eddie. I would not put it past him that he has more hidden somewhere.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tiny pot for such a large plant! I know he has a bigger one than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a friend informed me that these are wild eddies in the sense that the seeds were taken from the wild. forget what i said. :P
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another quick update on my eddie to tease the lucky few who are impatiently waiting for their's in Spring. Thanks to pebes releasing one of his spots, I made the cut to get another one.

It's growing pretty fast for a highlander at a steady pace of almost a leaf per month and starting to jump in leaf size.

Last edited by DonH; 01-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast