Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: trichoderma on nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use Trich on anything, I never have and haven't had any complaints from the Neps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about trying it because I recently list a sing and inermis from rot induced by my misters. Hoping to protect everything.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used a Trichoderma product on the one and only Nepenthes I have. I have used two different products on different occasions on Drosera filiformis but I've never posted about it. The plants were too far gone to begin with. Hail Mary treatments seldom work. And if you read the FAQ on Ampac's site it says not to treat plants with an active infection.

I've used the Ampac product on Sarracenia and Cephalotus with negative results and it took many treatments with two different systemic fungicides to correct the problems. There are several other growers in the LACPS who have had negative experiences with Trichoderma based products.

There may be difficulties shipping a live biological control agent from the US to South Africa.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I've never used a Trichoderma product on the one and only Nepenthes I have. I have used two different products on different occasions on Drosera filiformis but I've never posted about it. The plants were too far gone to begin with. Hail Mary treatments seldom work. And if you read the FAQ on Ampac's site it says not to treat plants with an active infection.

I've used the Ampac product on Sarracenia and Cephalotus with negative results and it took many treatments with two different systemic fungicides to correct the problems. There are several other growers in the LACPS who have had negative experiences with Trichoderma based products.
    Thanks for adding another perspective to the equation. I think I am going to decline pursuit of this technology for the time being. I want to gather more data first. I'm curious to know what problems this treatment created on your Cephalotus...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very strange, because of the many growers I've spoken to who use Trichoderma, it's Cephalotus that seems to respond best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had only good results using the Trichoderma from Ampac on Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Nepenthes and the few Drosera I have. I have also been using it on my orchids with good results (Dracula and Masdevallia).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Im not known for my neps, but I do have a few...
    I have applied a Trichoderma drench on all my CP's once a month (including neps) for many years now...
    David (Bella) does his twice monthly, but dont quote me on that...

product: ampacbiotech
    I have used the ampacbiotech product on Nepenthes and Heliamphora for some time, though have discontinued its use with the Nepenthes, since I have seen little benefit -- not so the case with the others . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The symptoms were the same between Sarracenia and Cephalotus. The flowable Ampac product was used to "inoculate" the pots using the concentrations and amount recommended in the Ampac literature. In some cases the granular product was added to the fresh potting mix of newly acquired or repotted divisions - again in accordance to the literature.

Symptoms were a white/beige fuzz growing on the hoods and pitcher bodies. When wiped away with a damp cloth (with either plain water, alcohol solution, hydrogen peroxide solution or neem oil solution) red patches or bruises were present where the patch of fuzz was. If left untreated on the Cephalotus the entire pitcher would be covered in fuzz and would shrivel away. Treatment with Neem oil or a sulfur based fungicide would alleviate the problem from 1-4 weeks and then the patches would start appearing, on new pitchers or on the old bruises. I used Cleary's fungicide to clear the infection up on both Genus. After a season and a half free of any further occurrences of this "fuzz" I again tried inoculating several pots of Sarracenia with the flowable product. The "fuzz" returned a few weeks later. This time Cleary's no longer seemed effective and I treated all my Sarracenia with tebucanozole (Bayer Advanced Disease Control). So far there have been no recurrences of the infection. The Cephalotus and other Sarracenia that were not reinoculated did not develop the symptoms - I treated them with the fungicides regardless.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast