What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trichoderma on nepenthes

hey guys i was wondering if any of you use trichoderma fungus on nepenthes roots to prevent root rot and encourage healthy root growth

I used some about 18 months ago as a trial. The neps (sangs) seemed to actually lose ground and wilt within a few days of the application. They eventually revived but I haven't tried it since.

The Neps regularly get treated with Tricho along with all of the other plants in my collection.

I used some about 18 months ago as a trial. The neps (sangs) seemed to actually lose ground and wilt within a few days of the application. They eventually revived but I haven't tried it since.

To someone who was this very day thinking about trying it in his collection, this is a very disturbing report to encounter. Can you describe the method of application and the exact product you used, please?

The Neps regularly get treated with Tricho along with all of the other plants in my collection.

I'll as you as well, Ron: describe your technique for application, and the specific product used. Thanks!

Im not known for my neps, but I do have a few...
I have applied a Trichoderma drench on all my CP's once a month (including neps) for many years now...
David (Bella) does his twice monthly, but dont quote me on that...

product: ampacbiotech

Well the product im looking at simply lists itself as tricchoderma

I've heard of people using a product that may contain some trichoderma, but it isn't the same concentrated, cold-tolerant strain that I, and other members of this forum, use.

With regards to the Trichoderma atroviride from AmPac Biotech, I use it monthly on all of my plants, save a few species of Drosera. Just pour it into the soil as though you were watering the plants; let plants soak in it during any kind of potting process. For me, it has become more of a necessity than anything.

Last edited:
@Mat: I am finding a product called Root Shield with a strain of Trichoderma they call T-22. Are you familiar with this product? If not, what do you use, please?

chib, what product did you use? The brand butch listed has worked great for me and I would stand by it for sure.

This is the company where mine came from http://www.ampacbiotech.net/, which is the same product Av8 mentioned. Email kelly@ampacbiotech.net, mention what you need the plants for, and she'll help you out (very nice lady). I always buy the "flowable" powder form.

Last edited:
To someone who was this very day thinking about trying it in his collection, this is a very disturbing report to encounter.
While the members** of the 'Tricho cult' tend to believe that the product performs it's suggested functions well, Chib isn't alone in providing a dissenting view. Iirc, a while back NaN also voiced some skeptical observations / comments.

** I'm a card-carrying disciple :lol:

a while back NaN also voiced some skeptical observations / comments.

If I recall correctly, he was only able to provide information regarding certain species of Drosera.

@Mat: I am finding a product called Root Shield with a strain of Trichoderma they call T-22. Are you familiar with this product? If not, what do you use, please?

I experiemtned with rootsheild for a couple years and wasnt impressed.

Two main problems, one is spore count.... its more "filler" than anything else. The spore count is horrible.
Secondly, their product has a 6m shelf life, and no exaggeration... but every time i ordered it, I had to call and complain that the delivered product was already out of date.

caveat emptor of course.

There are many strains of Trich, and some work better on pathogen "A" or pathogen "B"
Also, many do not really understand how to best use it.

Trichoderma sp. are highly antagonistic and parasitic towards pathogens. However, it grows slower than some pathogens. So the key here is to keep a strong, healthy culture present. If a pathogen is already actively attacking the plant... your chances of success are much less likely and may in fact "feed" the pathogen before the Trich population can become active enough to "win the war".
While I have used it successfully as a "cure" its real benefit is as a preventivie. It also forms a symbiotic relationship with the plant that is systemic in nature. This enables to plant to fight off pathogens and increases the plant's nutrient uptake.

Trichoderma is a living organism and alters itself to best match the pathogen it encounters... sort of an "intelligent" bioweapon.

However, it also has its own preditiors and while not common, they do exist... Its also been shown that other bio-products such as some of the B. subtilis strains decrease Trichoderma's effectiveness. Likewise, applying it to a nutrient rich enviroment causes the trich to becomes "fat and lazy"

All the statements I have made above are documented in dozens and dozens of peer reviewed research papers... well except for my personal observations on T-22

Last edited:
While the members** of the 'Tricho cult' tend to believe that the product performs it's suggested functions well, Chib isn't alone in providing a dissenting view. Iirc, a while back NaN also voiced some skeptical observations / comments.

** I'm a card-carrying disciple :lol:

Very true on both counts....

I don't use Trich on anything, I never have and haven't had any complaints from the Neps.

I'm thinking about trying it because I recently list a sing and inermis from rot induced by my misters. Hoping to protect everything.

I've never used a Trichoderma product on the one and only Nepenthes I have. I have used two different products on different occasions on Drosera filiformis but I've never posted about it. The plants were too far gone to begin with. Hail Mary treatments seldom work. And if you read the FAQ on Ampac's site it says not to treat plants with an active infection.

I've used the Ampac product on Sarracenia and Cephalotus with negative results and it took many treatments with two different systemic fungicides to correct the problems. There are several other growers in the LACPS who have had negative experiences with Trichoderma based products.

There may be difficulties shipping a live biological control agent from the US to South Africa.

I've never used a Trichoderma product on the one and only Nepenthes I have. I have used two different products on different occasions on Drosera filiformis but I've never posted about it. The plants were too far gone to begin with. Hail Mary treatments seldom work. And if you read the FAQ on Ampac's site it says not to treat plants with an active infection.

I've used the Ampac product on Sarracenia and Cephalotus with negative results and it took many treatments with two different systemic fungicides to correct the problems. There are several other growers in the LACPS who have had negative experiences with Trichoderma based products.

Thanks for adding another perspective to the equation. I think I am going to decline pursuit of this technology for the time being. I want to gather more data first. I'm curious to know what problems this treatment created on your Cephalotus...

Back