What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too cold for highland seeds?

Ive had alot of good luck germinating lowland Nepenthes in my conditions. I am trying to germinate highland nepenthes seeds by putting the seed trays in a timer controlled refrigerator at night that gets down to about 47F at night. Day temps are kept around 80f and r/h about 65%, about 16 hours daily. Is 47f night time too low to germinate highland nep seeds? What would be the ideal temp at night for most highlanders? Thanks

Shouldn't be to cold for HL plants. I would sorry about LL plants getting thatcold though. I would give them same temp ranges as the parents. There used to be an elevation chart withe temps someplace on tbw net.

that is too cold for HL seeds.
I wouldn't let nights get below 55*-64*F at max.
The rule of thumb (that I was told) is germinate the seeds in the same conditions you'd grow the plants.

Last edited:
That's way too cold for any Nepenthes seeds. I've germinated 1,000's of HL and UHL Nep seeds at room temperature.

Okay. Thanks for the advice. That information has created another question for me though. If the highland plants require night time drops in order to last long-term, but those same drops are too cold for the seeds to germinate, then at what point does one gradually introduce cooler night time temps to Highland Nepenthes seedlings? At what age in other words.

Allow me to be more specific as to which species I am trying to germinate:
aristolochioides
dubia
jacquelineae
jamban
glabrata
gymnaphora
adrianii
inermis
maxima

The rule of thumb (that I was told) is to germinate the seeds in the same conditions you'd grow the plants.
That prevents the need for any future acclimation processes.

However, I trust Johnny and his methods. He's proven he's the man, time and time again. Considering he's already had success with nearly every seed on that list.

The rule of thumb (that I was told) is to germinate the seeds in the same conditions you'd grow the plants.
That prevents the need for any future acclimation processes.

k thanks! I was expecting around 50 - 55f was necessary for some of those plants listed above. 55 - 65f would definately be easier and cheaper for me to maintain.

I agree with Mass but not going to knock proven track records. I haven't had that much success yet. Go with experience.

My question is though like asked if the plant grows at said temps then why is it those temps are too cold for its seeds?

I agree with Mass but not going to knock proven track records. I haven't had that much success yet. Go with experience. My question is though like asked if the plant grows at said temps then why is it those temps are too cold for its seeds?

If you're gonna go with experience, go with Johnny. He has WAY more experience than I do.

The only thing on that list that get's exposed to nights in the 40*s would be dubia. And still it wouldn't do well for prolonged periods of time.
http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/ne...titudinal-Distribution-Temperature-Chart.html

That's what I was saying. Nsube its not clear enough, I was saying go with Johnny. Go with experience. ;-)

I read that it is a good idea to germinate all Nepenthes seeds in lowland conditions. I saw pictures of the effects of that, but can't seem to find the website again. It was pretty cool. And they probably would like higher humidity though. :p

Back