User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Nep bug attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding Nep bug attack.

Hello everyone....I am a bit troubled by the attack (mealy bugs) but the Bayer Advance Rose and Flower did the job at killing them. My question is do most highlanders bounce back from such an attack? I ask this because some don't look good....the bugs are gone, but the plants don't look good at all. Just interested in some other growers experiences with bug attacks/recovery.

Thank you
    N_CloudySkies
    Last edited by N_CloudySkies; 10-30-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well......I guess most here on this forum haven't had mealy bug problems. Well, I have and I have killed them dead for trying to attack the plants that I love.....so if anyone here has an issue with these dam bugs, just ask me and I will gladly let them know my experience in fighting them and direct them to what I used to kill them dead. My Nepenthes' that were attacked by them seem to be doing well now. Only time will tell in that regard.

For those that are curious and experienced more than I.....I will offer this information.........my petiolata (from Tony) and sanguinea "orange" (from Dean) never missed a beat even though they were affected horribly by these bugs. As soon as I sprayed (repeatedly) those bugs dead they gave me pitchers as a rewared for the care I gave them.....Man, I love those plants because they are just warriors in my opinion. My other plants might not have faired as well but I will continue to care for them to give them every chance for recovery because it is my duty to do so. I have grown an amazing variety of highlanders and I haven't lost one yet....I am determine to not loose one now to ******* mealy bugs!!! These Nepenthes that I have have given me an amazing amount of facination and joy in return for my care...it is the least I can do to return the favor. That is all I have to say.

N_Cloudyskies
    Last edited by N_CloudySkies; 11-01-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work i dont have any experiences with mealy bugs but just give them some tlc and theyll bounce back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks kevnep....I appreciate your response. I was waiting for someone to respond. You actually were one of two forum members that responded to my other thread that I wrote in regards to those member on the east coast that are/was being hit by the superstorm Sandy. kevnep, your a good fellow member here and alright in my book. Thanks kevnep....I consider you my friend from South Africa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its no problem!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh something more i would do is to just keep them in a lower light higher humidity area, treat them like you would a plant just out of tc

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I'd seen this as I've had my share of mealybug attacks as well. The plants should recover fine, but don't be surprised if they put out several basals to make up for the damage done on the main shoot. Also, make sure you check the nooks of the plant leaves (they may still be hiding in there). A quick and easy way to eliminate them is by spraying with 50/50 water alcohol. They will turn brown, signaling that the mix has done it's job. Just curious, but do you have any pictures of the plants now?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to repot the plants, too, just as a precaution. One of the worst characteristics of mealies is that they have a tendency to go back into the soil, where they're extremely difficult to eradicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast