Thread: Aristo Sick

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Is it always that wet
    The browning midvein on the two uppermost leaves and the spotting that is starting to show is troubling and probably indicates some fungal infection. Possibly from being too wet. Sounds like there was a root problem too? Did you see active healthy root tips when you repotted it?
    Crap, root rot? I didn't see any fungus on the roots when I looked. I don't exactly know what "healthy root tips" look like because I've never paid attention, but it had black roots that didn't look moldy and didn't seem to be rotting.

I'll take the live sphag off the top of the pot. What else should I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actively growing roots have white tips

Root rot? I dunno.. but based on your description of the root system, it didn't sound particularly strong and healthy which is probably why the plant looks weak. The new emerging leaf doesn't look like it's growing strong and healthy. But I do think the brownish midvein is not a good sign and could indicate a fungal infection within the vascular tissue which = bad. The browned tip and tendril could have been caused by too much water sitting on the young leaf which caused a local pathogen to attack.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Actively growing roots have white tips

Root rot? I dunno.. but based on your description of the root system, it didn't sound particularly strong and healthy which is probably why the plant looks weak. The new emerging leaf doesn't look like it's growing strong and healthy. But I do think the brownish midvein is not a good sign and could indicate a fungal infection within the vascular tissue which = bad. The browned tip and tendril could have been caused by too much water sitting on the young leaf which caused a local pathogen to attack.
    So what should I do to help it out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good things happen slowly, bad things happen quickly. Be patient and give it proper conditions. ie cool temperatures, bright light, high humidity. Avoid wetting the plants directly... A little higher localized humidity might be helpful if the plant starts to show water stress in the leaves because of the poor root system. Keep the mix moderately moist but try to avoid very wet mix for prolonged periods. This will help reduce pathogen issues and promote root growth.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my aristo is perfectly healthy and growing like heck and it only in a terrarium under 1 t5 and 1 17 watt bulb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a video of the poor little guy. Not turning around, but not getting much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMr5YMl-Gw&hd=1&t=7m8s

Since then it was bagged to keep up humidity. Do you think he has a chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    err probably will make it but cut the brown off and put it in a mesh pot yours is producing big leaves for the size of the plant so it should do well
    also what is your humidity mines at 90 so if its below 90 or so bag it up or if you want to put it in a terrarium mines in one and its growing well
    Last edited by n bicalcarata; 12-03-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks far from being dead... wouldnt count it out by any means. my izumiae stalled for a good 4 months before pitchering and acting happy. my talangensis is still stalled an looks like your aristo with pitcherless foliage and just doesnt seem interested in pitcvhering.

sometimes patience is all you need when dealing with a slow to recover highlander.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast