What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aristo Sick

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
IDK what it is doing, it like won't pitcher and now the first two leaves are turning black/yellow as you can see in the pics. I recently removed my shade cloth, so maybe it is sunburn? I doubt it though because no other plants had issues with it. All other leaves are fine, just two new ones -- and it won't pitcher with 55F nights, 70F days and high humidity in a greenhouse.

2wc2vdf.jpg

fz7p1s.jpg

How long have you had it? what is it potted in?

How long have you had it? what is it potted in?

I have had it since like June or something. It is potted in the medium it had been growing in for years at the grower...

Okay, so I'll repot it because the medium looks like it may be breaking down. Could that have caused this? I don't see how it would. Maybe it is sun?

maybe the new leaves arent as tough as the old ones.
were they produced in your care, might should have acclimated to the new conditions , if the old leaves are ok it will probably adjust.
id try and shade a bit for a whild and slowly give more , then more sun.
nice looking plant though, seems healthy otherwise.
. might try and not let droplets of water stand on the new leaves, sun may reflect through the droplets and burn.

Looks like sunburn to me. Don't worry, the next up-coming leaves should be adapted to the sun and the burning should stop. Some Nepenthes take just fine to sun, while others get affected by it. If it continues burning then I'd suggest placing the plant back into the previous shade levels. The lack of pitchers looks like a clear sign (especially for Aristo) that it isn't receiving enough humidity. Are you sure it's receiving an appropriate amount of humidity?

For the burn spots my question would be how often are the leaves wet with water droplets like that? If there are droplets of water on those leaf tips when the direct sun is on the GH it could be causing those burn marks. Try to eliminate lots of spraying of the plants and just humidify the air of the growing area.

Aristo doesn't care for much warmth, it likes cool temps, downright cold is fine. Yours might not pitcher unless you get those nights to 50*F or lower. It will grow and produce leaves in warmer temps but pitchers are the first to stop when the plant is unhappy. Your tendrils look basically OK and not brown/withered so I would think about the the temps. Could try placing it in the coldest spot in your GH and make sure it still gets good light, pitchers need light and humidity to form but Aristo is one who also likes cold temps.

Okay, repotted in 50/50 sphag/perlite... Bigger pot too. It's weird, it had about 8" of stem curled up in the media and maybe 2" of root... Really weird. That eliminated the decomposed media though.

Say it is the sun -- would it be a good idea to set the pot in a large sphagnum culture in the shade with a lid? That would be 100% humidity and 70s day 50s night. How do I acclimate it to the light now?

I think repotting it is the best thing that you could have done....I never like to keep my plants in the growers soil but I got mealy bugs from a grower recently so I would always put it in my own soil for now on. Good luck Pineapple. Give the plant really cool nights and good light during the day. Perhaps you won't have too warm of days now that Winter is starting in North America so that is good. To be honest, I think you actually had good growth with those two top leaves but I understand why you are concern because I hate to see those sort of blemishes on my leaves. Overall, your plant looks really good and changing the soil was a good thing. Again, good luck and keep us posted.

N_CloudySkies

Its best practice to repot everything. Your grow style is most likely different than the grower you got it from. My ham came potted I left it in its pot it was potted in. Before I knew it I rotted all the roots. I watered too heavy for the mix he had it in. Its now recovered but was scary as I just traded my second one away at the time. I don't like heavy peat mixes. So they are always repoted. Plus it let's you assess root health. Just good practice. And gives you baseline on repot schedule.

Are you sure the daytime high temps have not exceeded 80F?

I think repotting it is the best thing that you could have done....I never like to keep my plants in the growers soil but I got mealy bugs from a grower recently so I would always put it in my own soil for now on. Good luck Pineapple. Give the plant really cool nights and good light during the day. Perhaps you won't have too warm of days now that Winter is starting in North America so that is good. To be honest, I think you actually had good growth with those two top leaves but I understand why you are concern because I hate to see those sort of blemishes on my leaves. Overall, your plant looks really good and changing the soil was a good thing. Again, good luck and keep us posted.

N_CloudySkies

Thanks! I'll keep y'all updated. Yesterday I stuck it in my large sphagnum culture container and put a lid over top of it while still allowing good air circulation. Should raise the humidity and lower lighting.

Its best practice to repot everything. Your grow style is most likely different than the grower you got it from. My ham came potted I left it in its pot it was potted in. Before I knew it I rotted all the roots. I watered too heavy for the mix he had it in. Its now recovered but was scary as I just traded my second one away at the time. I don't like heavy peat mixes. So they are always repoted. Plus it let's you assess root health. Just good practice. And gives you baseline on repot schedule.

I'll start the trend of repotting what needs to be when I buy new stuff. I actually started that trend yesterday, repotted my hammy x platy and the other Nep I bought was fine because it was in pure LFS. :)

Are you sure the daytime high temps have not exceeded 80F?

Yes, 100% positive. It hasn't done that since I got my new swamp cooler. It's actually been between 65-75F, usually on the lower end of that spectrum, during the day and about 50-57F at night according to my high/low thermometer. It is a bit higher than 50% humidity for three hours during the day, 70% from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM and the rest of the time it is around 90%.

poor little aristo

Yesh lul. I'm killing it. :devil:

Not getting any better in high humidity and shade. Leaves are bumpy and look like they are a bit dehydrated. I'm afraid I'll lose it. Should I bring it inside and stick it in a terrarium?

Right now you should bag it and drape something over the top of it that is shady so the water droplets won't magnify and burn the leaves. In the future you may need to keep it inside a terrarium in the GH along with a shade cloth over the terrarium.

Is it always that wet???
The browning midvein on the two uppermost leaves and the spotting that is starting to show is troubling and probably indicates some fungal infection. Possibly from being too wet. Sounds like there was a root problem too? Did you see active healthy root tips when you repotted it?

Is it always that wet???
The browning midvein on the two uppermost leaves and the spotting that is starting to show is troubling and probably indicates some fungal infection. Possibly from being too wet. Sounds like there was a root problem too? Did you see active healthy root tips when you repotted it?

Crap, root rot? I didn't see any fungus on the roots when I looked. I don't exactly know what "healthy root tips" look like because I've never paid attention, but it had black roots that didn't look moldy and didn't seem to be rotting.

I'll take the live sphag off the top of the pot. What else should I do?

Actively growing roots have white tips

Root rot? I dunno.. but based on your description of the root system, it didn't sound particularly strong and healthy which is probably why the plant looks weak. The new emerging leaf doesn't look like it's growing strong and healthy. But I do think the brownish midvein is not a good sign and could indicate a fungal infection within the vascular tissue which = bad. The browned tip and tendril could have been caused by too much water sitting on the young leaf which caused a local pathogen to attack.

Actively growing roots have white tips

Root rot? I dunno.. but based on your description of the root system, it didn't sound particularly strong and healthy which is probably why the plant looks weak. The new emerging leaf doesn't look like it's growing strong and healthy. But I do think the brownish midvein is not a good sign and could indicate a fungal infection within the vascular tissue which = bad. The browned tip and tendril could have been caused by too much water sitting on the young leaf which caused a local pathogen to attack.

So what should I do to help it out? ???

Good things happen slowly, bad things happen quickly. Be patient and give it proper conditions. ie cool temperatures, bright light, high humidity. Avoid wetting the plants directly... A little higher localized humidity might be helpful if the plant starts to show water stress in the leaves because of the poor root system. Keep the mix moderately moist but try to avoid very wet mix for prolonged periods. This will help reduce pathogen issues and promote root growth.

Back