Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aristo Sick

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aristo Sick

IDK what it is doing, it like won't pitcher and now the first two leaves are turning black/yellow as you can see in the pics. I recently removed my shade cloth, so maybe it is sunburn? I doubt it though because no other plants had issues with it. All other leaves are fine, just two new ones -- and it won't pitcher with 55F nights, 70F days and high humidity in a greenhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you had it? what is it potted in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pebes View Post
    How long have you had it? what is it potted in?
    I have had it since like June or something. It is potted in the medium it had been growing in for years at the grower...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I'll repot it because the medium looks like it may be breaking down. Could that have caused this? I don't see how it would. Maybe it is sun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe the new leaves arent as tough as the old ones.
    were they produced in your care, might should have acclimated to the new conditions , if the old leaves are ok it will probably adjust.
    id try and shade a bit for a whild and slowly give more , then more sun.
    nice looking plant though, seems healthy otherwise.
    . might try and not let droplets of water stand on the new leaves, sun may reflect through the droplets and burn.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like sunburn to me. Don't worry, the next up-coming leaves should be adapted to the sun and the burning should stop. Some Nepenthes take just fine to sun, while others get affected by it. If it continues burning then I'd suggest placing the plant back into the previous shade levels. The lack of pitchers looks like a clear sign (especially for Aristo) that it isn't receiving enough humidity. Are you sure it's receiving an appropriate amount of humidity?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the burn spots my question would be how often are the leaves wet with water droplets like that? If there are droplets of water on those leaf tips when the direct sun is on the GH it could be causing those burn marks. Try to eliminate lots of spraying of the plants and just humidify the air of the growing area.

Aristo doesn't care for much warmth, it likes cool temps, downright cold is fine. Yours might not pitcher unless you get those nights to 50*F or lower. It will grow and produce leaves in warmer temps but pitchers are the first to stop when the plant is unhappy. Your tendrils look basically OK and not brown/withered so I would think about the the temps. Could try placing it in the coldest spot in your GH and make sure it still gets good light, pitchers need light and humidity to form but Aristo is one who also likes cold temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, repotted in 50/50 sphag/perlite... Bigger pot too. It's weird, it had about 8" of stem curled up in the media and maybe 2" of root... Really weird. That eliminated the decomposed media though.

Say it is the sun -- would it be a good idea to set the pot in a large sphagnum culture in the shade with a lid? That would be 100% humidity and 70s day 50s night. How do I acclimate it to the light now?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast