Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preserving Nepenthes pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to spray something like an acrylic sealant over the pitcher, so it doesn't even have to be placed in a jar? Or maybe do that, then put it in a jar to seal it from air?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    Is it possible to spray something like an acrylic sealant over the pitcher, so it doesn't even have to be placed in a jar? Or maybe do that, then put it in a jar to seal it from air?
    I read that another way of preserving is by putting the plant material in a sealed container so the air doesn't escapes. Has anyone tried this method before about putting the pitcher in a container and sealing completely to prevent air from coming out or in?

I like the idea about using an acrylic sealer!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The acrylic spray sounds like it could work. I'm gonna have to try that.
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I volunteered in the Spirit Collection at the museum for a while - smelling alcohol will forever make me think of pickled animals.

Regardless though:

If you don't need the specimen to be removed from the jar then you could try fixing it in formaldehyde and then preserving it in ethanol. The colours are a little better then, but formaldehyde is a nasty chemical that you don't want around the house.

Or, if you could fix the surface of the specimen and store it in a nitrogen atmosphere. That's how they keep fruit preserved for out of season sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGordon View Post
    I volunteered in the Spirit Collection at the museum for a while - smelling alcohol will forever make me think of pickled animals.

Regardless though:

If you don't need the specimen to be removed from the jar then you could try fixing it in formaldehyde and then preserving it in ethanol. The colours are a little better then, but formaldehyde is a nasty chemical that you don't want around the house.

Or, if you could fix the surface of the specimen and store it in a nitrogen atmosphere. That's how they keep fruit preserved for out of season sale.
    Volunteering at the spirit collections must have been very nice!!!!! I know about the spirit collections and the extensive plant collection of herbariums at Kew. Is great to have someone in here who actually volunteered there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12