What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It took four+ weeks but the first 4 planted of the 14 subspecies are germinating now, it will be some time before I can tell if they sent what they advertised but I can say that the seeds all looked different. Now I have to order in a lens adapter for my Fujifilm S2950 so I can do some experimenting with a better macro lens and filters. The built in Macro just isn't getting clear shots of those tiny seedlings.
Propagating:
N. albomarginata 'Green'
N. ampullaria 'Green Speck'
N. ampullaria 'Green'
N. ampullaria 'Red'
N. hirsuta 'Green'
N. mini maxima
N. rafflesiana 'Green'
N. rafflesiana 'Brown'
N. ampullaria 'Brown Speckled Apple Green'
N. Nepenthes ampullaria 'Red with Green Lips'
N. inermis
N. albomarginata 'Giant'
N. bicalcarata
N. gracilis

Updated 12/01/2012:
N. aristolochioides
N. bongso
N. glabrata
N. longifolia
N. naga
N. singalana

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the seeds from? if it is an american vendor pm me with the name if you don't mind. I really look forward to seeing these plants as they germinate and grow up. I'd definitely be interested in the ampullaria brown speckle apple green once they're grown up.

Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't receive an email indicating a reply.
I ordered several varieties of Nep seeds from nepenthaceae http://myworld.ebay.com/nepenthaceae/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754 on eBay in early September and it took over five weeks to take delivery and they arrived in cheapo paper envelopes cut from paper. So far about half of the seeds have germinated and are producing the first pitchers. In all fairness to the seller, I ordered a pod of N. aristolocioides on 12/02 and received them today, 13 days, and this time they were in a small plastic bag so I am happy with the delivery process and time. I ordered another pod of N. aristolocioides and one of N. singalana today.

In September I also ordered three species from an eBay seller in South Africa that sells just a few seeds of each and they took about a month and still haven't germinated. I am giving all plantings 12 months to germinate before I pull the plug to give the tougher ones a chance. Not bothering with sellers offering a few seeds when others are offering 100 or more in a pod.

On 12/01 I ordered three pods from morebuyfromthisshop http://myworld.ebay.com/morebuyfromthisshop/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754 and albermarlesounds http://myworld.ebay.com/albermarlesounds/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754 on eBay and am awaiting delivery.

Good seed is hard to find. Glad they turned out to be viable.

i've only received seeds from albemarlesound and all but one species that i ordered have germinated. Best of luck to ya, i'd definitely be interested in some of the different ampullaria varieties you have down the road if you're willing to part with some when they're old enough.

I personaly don't trust that vendor's sources (nepenthaceae)... Just saying... I believe there has been an ongoing thread in the past discussing specifically whether HE (nepenthaceae) is or is not selling legally collected material. To me, the fact that he sells such a large variety and volume of seeds continuously from the epicenter of Nepenthes diversity is a big clue that something isn't right.

Here is the thread on this seller:http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?127797-Major-seed-poaching

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with anyone and be the recipient of any plant or animal brought to extinction but I leave it to that country's law enforcement to protect what is theirs. I wonder how many of the adventurers that go to these countries to experience the endangered varieties stash a seed pod under their belt or in their shoe excusing themselves because they are just creating a potential seed bank by propagating in their own greenhouses? Not accusing anyone but in my 60 years I have seen very decent law abiding citizens unable to resist temptation do things like that. Sometimes good people do bad things. My area of expertise is in snake species native to the United States and like any hobby where a lot of money goes to the harder to come by species there are those same good people. The Trans-Pecos area of West Texas is a hot spot for snake hunters from all over the world and just like any living thing the snakes of that region are managed by government people using info supplied by educated people to set regulations. They claim that certain species are endangered when in fact the hunters in the field know better, a good example is the Texas Lyre Snake (Trimorphodon biscutatus vilkinsonii), not supposed to be collected but there are many locations where they are regularly encountered and being a very secretive species who is to say for certain how many there are. I sat in a motel room in Alpine, Texas in 1999 visiting with fellow hobbyists and one mentioned wanting a Texas Lyre and three of the hunters brought out nice adult examples and offered to make a deal. As far as tropical plant species go habitat destruction as in slash and burn or timber harvesting is the biggest threat, not collectors. The people living in those areas are just trying to make a living, try telling them to place plants or animals ahead of survival and see what you get. A nature exhibit at the St. Louis Zoo explains the various points of view on habitat destruction in Central and South America and lays it out very well. Unless someone can show proof that eBay seed sellers are breaking the local laws I will continue to collect from them. Now if I ruffle a few feathers or get myself placed on some $hit list or "don't-associate-with-this-guy-list" for speaking my mind that's fine, I don't care. Extremists from the free collecting and conservation camps should be heard but each person has to weigh the evidence and decide for themselves. Eventually a planet killing asteroid will hit Earth and create yet another extinction event and a few million years later intelligent plant life will be getting into trouble for collecting protected human species.

Law enforcement doesn't always work when it comes to poachers. Look at Thailand and the slow loris. The mafia pays law enforcement to ignore the black market animal trade, which has probably wiped out the animals in Thailand and Sumatra. Not a single loris has been observed in Sumatra for a few years.

Luckily, most of the seeds you ordered are fairly wide spread species, except for aristo.

I wondered about the aristocholioides after seeing a small one inch or so plant sell on eBay for a lot of money. I just received my first pod and have laid it out in one of my ex cookie box / greenhouses to germinate. It arrived so quickly that I ordered another of the same one plus a pod of singalana.
In answer to anyone wanting any of these that I have that do in fact germinate and reach the two inch size, I will probably offer some for free to other collectors when the time comes. I have no interest in turning a hobby into a business which would ruin the hobby aspect for me. Same thing with my classic Honda bike collection, they will all go to my kids when I croak and in the meantime I will continue to have fun restoring and riding them. I made that mistake several years ago by making my 1950's sci-fi & horror movie collection available to others at a price.

Yeah, aristolochioides is critically endangered, so I really recommend not ordering any more seeds from that guy of that species. It's been poached pretty badly for the past few years and not much seed has recruited. Technically, it's illegal to collect seeds since it's on the IUCN Red List.

Unless someone can show proof that eBay seed sellers are breaking the local laws I will continue to collect from them. Now if I ruffle a few feathers or get myself placed on some $hit list or "don't-associate-with-this-guy-list" for speaking my mind that's fine, I don't care. Extremists from the free collecting and conservation camps should be heard but each person has to weigh the evidence and decide for themselves. Eventually a planet killing asteroid will hit Earth and create yet another extinction event and a few million years later intelligent plant life will be getting into trouble for collecting protected human species.

The "all life on this planet is headed for the celestial trash bin eventually" argument is one that I have a real problem with, since it is ultimately an "Eric Cartmanian" style of rationalization designed to allow a person to do as they please, and damn the consequences. In this case, the big picture time scale view neglects the "will my grandchildren get to know these life forms?" scenario, and that is just as important, if not moreso. I personally do not think we can have these kinds of discussions without factoring in a responsibility to do as little damage while we're here, and leaving as much of the globe's biology intact so that future generations can see, study, and appreciate our living world.

eBay allows potential buyers to circumvent legal channels to acquire seeds of critically endangered species. If a person chooses to knowingly purchase seeds of a critically endangered species in this manner, then that person is supporting and encouraging the illegal and unethical collection of material. As tempting as it is, I have specifically NOT purchased N. aristolochioides seeds from any of these merchants because I cannot justify the act. That said, I hope you recognize that I am just expressing a personal opinion and in no way am I suggesting that anyone else make the same choices I do. I would add that if anyone does buy seeds of species like N. aristolochioides, that they take that as a serious responsibility to raise and mature the resulting plants and treat them as the truly archival organisms they are, and not just the objects of ones personal (and often fleeting) fascination. It would be a huge insult to decide after a few years that you were bored of the plants and let them die, or just handed them over to someone who really didn't know how to care for them. If you are going to take on the responsibility, then commit to that responsibility. Please.

I always pay attention to anyone that challenges my opinion as long as it is done in a thoughtful way like you have.
You have given me something to think about and I certainly do worry about my grandkids and future progeny having as close to what I had growing up. Maybe being a loner and isolating myself from humanity beyond family is giving me an unchallenged pessimism that I wouldn't have if I was sharing my thoughts with others and getting other viewpoints. I definitely will be altering my attitude towards the seeds I just received and are in the mail on their way here. My germination technique is right on and once the seeds hatch I will be paying special attention to their needs. I guess I won't be giving away any seedlings of this particular species but may PM other concerned collectors and offer to send them free of charge of course. I can't see how spreading them around that way could hurt and if even a single individual was able to produce a new generation of seeds it would be worthwhile. Who knows maybe the seller is a stinker and is sending out mislabeled seeds because he does care about the species survival.
Thanks for the input!

I agree with points from both spooky and whimgrinder, especially about people buying these seeds and then just getting bored with them and letting them die or giving them away. I have heard of way too many plants like robcantleyii and aristo being given to people and within a few weeks they have killed it because they don't know what they are doing and they just wanted these "cool" plants. Breaks my heart to see this happen but unfortunately it does all the time.

I have heard of way too many plants like robcantleyii and aristo being given to people and within a few weeks they have killed it because they don't know what they are doing and they just wanted these "cool" plants. Breaks my heart to see this happen but unfortunately it does all the time.

Precisely why most semi-serious collectors should limit themselves to acquiring tissue cultured plants, which place absolutely ZERO pressure on in situ populations. If you kill a TC'd specimen of N. aristolochioides that came out of BE's lab, nothing unique has been destroyed. The same cannot be said when someone carelessly acquires a genetically unique plant (or grows collected seeds) and kills it because they cannot provide what it requires. That is why my plants of N. macrophylla, N. villosa, N. hamata, and N. aristolochioides are all from Tissue Culture.

Please note that the comments in this post are not aimed at anyone in particular, nor do I intend any individuals to feel chided or criticized, they are just a continuation of my expression of personal opinion.

Spooky, I hope you don't mind me posting a link to your other recent thread, as I address this thread in it, and many of the talking points cross over between the two. I didn't realize that while I was addressing the topic in your 'human population' thread that Whimgrinder was covering much of the same ground here! Lol. Good discussion people! I'm glad to see it has stayed respectfull :)
Cheers

Here's the link: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...Human-Population-Growth&p=1105923#post1105923

Spooky, I hope you can feel comfortable having us on the forum to talk to :)

It is always a good idea to check your sources before you buy anything, and make sure that if you buy something, it's not harming populations and that you have the proper grow area for the plants. I've dealt with the sellers mentioned here in this thread, all three, and I have to agree with some other users that ones like nepenthaceae aren't exactly the best sources around. Looking at the dates of the seed collections, over half of them are going to be dead seeds, collected many months ago, and another 30% aren't date labeled at all. The other two sellers, I can say are reputable, and though he hasn't posted publicly his processes for a while, albermarlesounds does his collecting in a more conservative way, collecting very few amounts of seeds at a time from private land he has access to.
I'll admit I have bought seeds from the latter, some of rarer species, and am happy to say most are germinating and doing well. These plants I plan to keep with me for a while to make sure they grow properly, and while I will have many that I don't have room for, I plan to try selling or giving them away to those who know what they're doing as well, as these plants could now be critical for keeping variability and therefore interest in cultivated plants only.

This is why I only get domestically produced seeds, or from an incredibly reliable source (Jeremiah's attenboroughii giveaway).

Nice list wow!
From my experience, bcp.com have great viable seeds.
I have some n.ramispina seedlings growing right now from them.

nepenthes ramispina

Back