Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeds germinating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeds germinating

It took four+ weeks but the first 4 planted of the 14 subspecies are germinating now, it will be some time before I can tell if they sent what they advertised but I can say that the seeds all looked different. Now I have to order in a lens adapter for my Fujifilm S2950 so I can do some experimenting with a better macro lens and filters. The built in Macro just isn't getting clear shots of those tiny seedlings.
    Propagating:
    N. albomarginata 'Green'
    N. ampullaria 'Green Speck'
    N. ampullaria 'Green'
    N. ampullaria 'Red'
    N. hirsuta 'Green'
    N. mini maxima
    N. rafflesiana 'Green'
    N. rafflesiana 'Brown'
    N. ampullaria 'Brown Speckled Apple Green'
    N. Nepenthes ampullaria 'Red with Green Lips'
    N. inermis
    N. albomarginata 'Giant'
    N. bicalcarata
    N. gracilis

Updated 12/01/2012:
    N. aristolochioides
    N. bongso
    N. glabrata
    N. longifolia
    N. naga
    N. singalana
    Last edited by Spooky1; 12-19-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind me asking where did you get the seeds from? if it is an american vendor pm me with the name if you don't mind. I really look forward to seeing these plants as they germinate and grow up. I'd definitely be interested in the ampullaria brown speckle apple green once they're grown up.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't receive an email indicating a reply.
    I ordered several varieties of Nep seeds from nepenthaceae http://myworld.ebay.com/nepenthaceae...84.m1439.l2754 on eBay in early September and it took over five weeks to take delivery and they arrived in cheapo paper envelopes cut from paper. So far about half of the seeds have germinated and are producing the first pitchers. In all fairness to the seller, I ordered a pod of N. aristolocioides on 12/02 and received them today, 13 days, and this time they were in a small plastic bag so I am happy with the delivery process and time. I ordered another pod of N. aristolocioides and one of N. singalana today.

In September I also ordered three species from an eBay seller in South Africa that sells just a few seeds of each and they took about a month and still haven't germinated. I am giving all plantings 12 months to germinate before I pull the plug to give the tougher ones a chance. Not bothering with sellers offering a few seeds when others are offering 100 or more in a pod.

On 12/01 I ordered three pods from ******************* http://myworld.ebay.com/morebuyfromt...84.m1439.l2754 and **************** http://myworld.ebay.com/albermarleso...84.m1439.l2754 on eBay and am awaiting delivery.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good seed is hard to find. Glad they turned out to be viable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've only received seeds from albemarlesound and all but one species that i ordered have germinated. Best of luck to ya, i'd definitely be interested in some of the different ampullaria varieties you have down the road if you're willing to part with some when they're old enough.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personaly don't trust that vendor's sources (nepenthaceae)... Just saying... I believe there has been an ongoing thread in the past discussing specifically whether HE (nepenthaceae) is or is not selling legally collected material. To me, the fact that he sells such a large variety and volume of seeds continuously from the epicenter of Nepenthes diversity is a big clue that something isn't right.

Here is the thread on this seller:http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-seed-poaching
    Last edited by richjam1986; 12-15-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with anyone and be the recipient of any plant or animal brought to extinction but I leave it to that country's law enforcement to protect what is theirs. I wonder how many of the adventurers that go to these countries to experience the endangered varieties stash a seed pod under their belt or in their shoe excusing themselves because they are just creating a potential seed bank by propagating in their own greenhouses? Not accusing anyone but in my 60 years I have seen very decent law abiding citizens unable to resist temptation do things like that. Sometimes good people do bad things. My area of expertise is in snake species native to the United States and like any hobby where a lot of money goes to the harder to come by species there are those same good people. The Trans-Pecos area of West Texas is a hot spot for snake hunters from all over the world and just like any living thing the snakes of that region are managed by government people using info supplied by educated people to set regulations. They claim that certain species are endangered when in fact the hunters in the field know better, a good example is the Texas Lyre Snake (Trimorphodon biscutatus vilkinsonii), not supposed to be collected but there are many locations where they are regularly encountered and being a very secretive species who is to say for certain how many there are. I sat in a motel room in Alpine, Texas in 1999 visiting with fellow hobbyists and one mentioned wanting a Texas Lyre and three of the hunters brought out nice adult examples and offered to make a deal. As far as tropical plant species go habitat destruction as in slash and burn or timber harvesting is the biggest threat, not collectors. The people living in those areas are just trying to make a living, try telling them to place plants or animals ahead of survival and see what you get. A nature exhibit at the St. Louis Zoo explains the various points of view on habitat destruction in Central and South America and lays it out very well. Unless someone can show proof that eBay seed sellers are breaking the local laws I will continue to collect from them. Now if I ruffle a few feathers or get myself placed on some ***** list or "don't-associate-with-this-guy-list" for speaking my mind that's fine, I don't care. Extremists from the free collecting and conservation camps should be heard but each person has to weigh the evidence and decide for themselves. Eventually a planet killing asteroid will hit Earth and create yet another extinction event and a few million years later intelligent plant life will be getting into trouble for collecting protected human species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Law enforcement doesn't always work when it comes to poachers. Look at Thailand and the slow loris. The mafia pays law enforcement to ignore the black market animal trade, which has probably wiped out the animals in Thailand and Sumatra. Not a single loris has been observed in Sumatra for a few years.

Luckily, most of the seeds you ordered are fairly wide spread species, except for aristo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast