Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Aponi still not doing better :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Aponi still not doing better :(

Well, still no sign of improvement, its just seems to be looking worse. Any more suggestions on what may be wrong?
    New tips darkening more and leaves still look droopy and sad....

What I've done so far: Repotted to make the media more airy, less peat. Also less watering (leaves are droopy but not thirsty).
    Thanks for the help
    ~Michelle (AKA Geva or Jennifer)

Grow/Trade List

Picture Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont expect that growth tip to get better. it wont. most likely that portion is spent and will not pitcher. what you need to keep an eye out on is the growth point, which is emerging from the center of the plant. if that is intact and looks good, your plant is fine.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww! So sorry this happened to one of your Neps too.

My N. densiflora x spectabilis got some weird white cysts all over it so I pulled the old leaves off and wiped the entire thing down with alcohol, then rinsed it off. Over the course of a few weeks, it became really dehydrated like the new leaf on yours looked and it turned black. Finally I had to cut it back and it just dried itself up. Not to be a debbie downer, but when that Nep of mine died, the growth tip was fine, but everything was dehydrated and flimsy. Not sure what would cause this.

I hope yours gets better! If the growing tip is still firm and green, you're in lucky and it will more than likely live with some care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do, DO NOT wipe your plant down with alcohol it will almost always kill your plant even if you wash it off of the leaves soon after. If it were me I would give it a good dose of neem oil and perhaps a fungicide. You said you decreased watering? the leaves on my nepenthes only curl like that when they are too dry so I would water a little more. If that necrosis continues to spread down the leaf I would consider cutting it off. It could be some sort of infection, but wounding a plant can lead to more infections if you aren't careful, be sure to wipe down whatever you use to cut the leaf with alcohol first to sterilize it. And I think repotting was a good move, maybe raise the humidity around the plant too if possible. I'm no expert but that's what I would do if that were my plant.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    def raise humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    making your media more wet will not necessarily solve your problem...as suggested before, a media change is highly recommended. not peat based, but LFS mixed with orchid park, and pumice/perlite is a more suitable nep mix.

by having a dense media (50% peat is extremely dense, IME, especially for neps ), your nep's roots are being super saturated with water to the point where the root cells may have ruptured. at this point, having your media extremely moist will do nothing, since the roots, if suffering cellular rupture, will be unable to draw up any water. cellular root rupturing is the most common way how people kill their orchids.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmcnair View Post
    Whatever you do, DO NOT wipe your plant down with alcohol it will almost always kill your plant even if you wash it off of the leaves soon after. If it were me I would give it a good dose of neem oil and perhaps a fungicide.
    I've used an alcohol, soap and water mixture to take care of small spots of pests. It would take care of them but they would be back in a couple weeks. The plants didn't show any damage though. Then I discovered neem. It's an organic, safe for your skin, has no fumes and works great. It may not work for everything, but it's a safe,easy way to get rid of many pests.
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *i'm saying don't use pure alcohol which is what Pine implied he did. I too use alcohol, water, and soap mix but neem definitely work better.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast