What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my indigenous nepenthes

Private album requires password my friend, would love to see them!
Andrew

Make it a public album and I can probably identify them for you.

I'm so sorry! I have forgotten the password: ThaiGer1

Hi ThaiGer,

First of all, very nice plants you have found there. I see three different species in the album. The ones with dark slim pitchers is N. gracilis, and the ones with round pitchers clumped together is N. ampullaria. Picture 8 and 10 (young plant) seem to show N. mirabilis.

Regards,

Christer

hello Christer, many thanks for your help! I will looking for another places also...best regards,ThaiGer

The last ones are Nepenthes ampullaria. The one before the ampullaria is a very pretty form of N. gracilis. The first one looks like N. mirabilis, but I would need to see closer photos to tell for sure.

When you're in Phuket keep an eye out for N. andamana, N. kampotiana, N. kerrii, N. sanguinea (far south of Thailand), N. suratensis, and N. thai. N. smilesii should be closer to Phu Ruea.

Anyone know what this is?

nepenthesmacfarlanei.jpg

#1 N. macfarlanei
#2 N. rafflesiana
#3 Picture is way too small to tell.
#4 N. ampullaria
#5 N. mirabilis
#6 N. rafflesiana

Hi ThaiGer,

I hope you are not trying to mess with our minds here:) Is there another Phu Ruea that does not lie in Loei Province in Northern Thailand?

When I saw the first neps you asked about I was sure you had found them in southern Thailand near the Malaysian side. N. gracilis and N. ampullaria has been found there, I don't think I have read that they can be found much north. When I saw the new pics with N. macfarlanei (first photo) and the N. rafflesiana (picture 2 and 6) I was even more sure. As far as I know none have been found in Thailand, N. macfarlanei is endemic to the Malaysian Peninsula, and N. rafflesiana is common in some part there too.

On second thought, they might have been introduced there by people.

Regards,

Christer

:nono:hello gardener, People say: “sea of fog and beautiful flower blossom on Phu Ruea” is held on the ground in Phu Ruea during the New Year Festival, around December 31 – January 3 every year. Any non-native plants you can see here. The activities in the festival comprise of a temperate plant fair, floral float parade, temperate flowers and decorative plants contests, Mae Khaning evening party (my neighbour), dances in the winter breeze, and Phu Ruea agricultural produce for sale. Just only three examples:
The Weeping Lantana (Lantana Camara). This is also plant that originated in the tropical Americas but is very common in Northern Thailand. The small blossoms are multi-colored in a variety of hues. It is akin to a flowering weed as it grows on tall bushes quickly and spreads rapidly.
The Orange Trumpet (Pyrostegia venusta Miers). The orange trumpet blossoms from December through March and we can see this lovely display in gardens throughout Phu Ruea. These brilliant orange flowers bloom on a vigorously climbing vine, which can grow to a height more than 40 feet. Gardeners must spend a great deal of energy to prevent the plant from overwhelming everything.
The Peacock Flower (Ceasalpinia Pulcherrima). This small flower originated in the tropical areas of the Americas, but is common in the North. The way the petals and sweeping pistils and stamens imitate the spread wings and fanned tail of the male peacock in his mating dance is noteworthy.
While the exact origin of tamarind (Tamarindus indica) is uncertain, the tree is probably native to tropical Africa and reached North Thailand through human transport. And last but not least: One of the most beautiful orchids of the North is the White Orchid. This species of wild orchid is also one of Thailand's rarest, for less than six types of White Orchid have been found growing in the wild. Greatings, ThaiGer (have a look at this site: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=10024 -not native but in our North...

Last edited:
Back