User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes attenboroughii seeds germinated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look really nice and plump and I have had no issues with fungus unlike the other seeds I have right now. I don't have germination yet because I am just giving them typical highland temps (73-80, 55-58) and cooler temps generally mean slower germination. I'm really happy to see that they are viable though. As for the comment towards Pine, I don't think you should have trouble with the seedlings, in 2007 there was a first release of seeds and the people who got seeds had really slow seedlings and most of them died off. Although, in 2011 there were more seeds released and those germinated quickly and the seedlings grew very fast. I'm thinking that the first batch of seeds were maybe older or less viable. Here are some interesting threads
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...tart-sprouting
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...=1#post1090150
    As you can see the seedlings gained a good amount of size in less than a year. Since the batch of seeds that we have now are fresh, hopefully we will have the same growth rates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool beans. i have to check my vials and soon . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no clue why Nepenthes seeds germinate in extro (no nutrient, only high humidity) faster than in vitro (complete nutrients) ?. It happens to me with other Nepenthes seeds (I sterilize seeds both in extro and intro). Do you have any idea, BigBella and Donh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting me excited for mine! Congrats on the sprouts!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flasker View Post
    I have no clue why Nepenthes seeds germinate in extro (no nutrient, only high humidity) faster than in vitro (complete nutrients) ?. It happens to me with other Nepenthes seeds (I sterilize seeds both in extro and intro). Do you have any idea, BigBella and Donh?
    I have had both experiences -- where the seed germinated in vitro weeks before those in compost; and quite the opposite, even with both kept in the same environment, in terms of temperature and light. One thought was that the seed required some modicum of darkness and that those in compost were not as bombarded by light as those in vials; but that doesn't explain the incidences of success too damn well, does it?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    They look really nice and plump and I have had no issues with fungus unlike the other seeds I have right now. I don't have germination yet because I am just giving them typical highland temps (73-80, 55-58) and cooler temps generally mean slower germination. I'm really happy to see that they are viable though. As for the comment towards Pine, I don't think you should have trouble with the seedlings, in 2007 there was a first release of seeds and the people who got seeds had really slow seedlings and most of them died off. Although, in 2011 there were more seeds released and those germinated quickly and the seedlings grew very fast. I'm thinking that the first batch of seeds were maybe older or less viable. Here are some interesting threads
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...tart-sprouting
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...=1#post1090150
    As you can see the seedlings gained a good amount of size in less than a year. Since the batch of seeds that we have now are fresh, hopefully we will have the same growth rates.
    Thanks for the links, Heli. A few more sprouted when I checked this morning. Wohooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flasker View Post
    I have no idea... The seeds were plated 2 days after the other seeds were sown in 50% coco peat/50% sand. They were given the same light and temperature so the difference is humidity. I mist the seeds every other day to keep the substrate moist but not damp. The seeds in vitro look more plump due to the 3 hour soak in MS+PPM. The planted seeds were not sterilized but did receive a heavy misting of distilled water and trichoderma at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon right after being sown.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I have had both experiences -- where the seed germinated in vitro weeks before those in compost; and quite the opposite, even with both kept in the same environment, in terms of temperature and light. One thought was that the seed required some modicum of darkness and that those in compost were not as bombarded by light as those in vials; but that doesn't explain the incidences of success too damn well, does it?
    I thought about placing them in the dark for a week but went with just putting them under growlights right after sowing them. Both vessels and propogation tray share the same photoperiod of 16 hours of light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COOL you are so lucky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.... I put mine in darkness for around 6 days so I should be getting germination in hopefully 1-2 weeks.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast