What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes attenboroughii seeds germinated!

Hey, I can't tell from those indistinct arrows. Is that a sprout?

No its a giraffe

That's a tiny giraffe. I think you might be onto the next big pet trend.

:lol:

I think I see signs of germination on mine! The centers of the seeds are starting to develop a little dark circle.

I have four seedlings now. Two of them germinated immediately after putting them on a small heating pad, looks like attenboroughii germinates quicker in lowland conditions although I have heard that all highlanders do anyways, it would be interesting to find out at what elevation these seeds are from.

it must be so exciting to grow seeds like that

Getting some germination here as well. The seeds have started to become very fat at one end. One of the fat seeds has even burst open a tiny bit to reveal some greenery, but it is very hard to see. I was told the altitude at which the seeds originated from was 1700 meters.

I have an under tank heater that I originally got for my bird eater, but since it can't be used on plastic I might place it close to the seeds and see what happens.

ok nothing on mine yet, but i admit it may be a bit cool, . finding germination heat mat , any ideas

ok nothing on mine yet, but i admit it may be a bit cool, . finding germination heat mat , any ideas
You can try a local hydroponics store. They are usually around $25-30 without a thermostat and can bring the temp 10F above room temp.

Some of the older sprouts are starting to show signs of their first true leaves.
image_zpsc39f221e.jpg

While other sprouts are totally lost, not knowing which way is down. The root tips are pointing up at this point.
image_zpsa287657e.jpg

image_zps86f3339a.jpg

What different substances did you use in the mix of medium you created to sow the seeds in? I quickly skimmed through all of the pages, didn't see it mentioned. Maybe I missed it.

50% Canna brand coco coir and 50% sand

I'm using Sphagnum compactum and perlite.

The attenboroughii sprouts are growing quickly.

20 days after germination, some of them are already showing signs of their first pitchers:

image_zpsa3fa92ae.jpg

How's everyone else's doing?

I can't wait to see them grow up!:drool::drool:

Good luck on raising some cool little babies! .... CHEERS!

I have germination!!!

update.. you can see some of the seedlings are out of their coats and some more still working on it.
EC6AF83C-A0F7-41F2-AF39-016F58BFE095-3193-000002812D764A1B.jpg

Back